V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 V8Supercars Australia
 V8Supercar Series
 Who Will Beat Or Come Close To Murph's Record?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

DeeMaC
Team Manager

Australia
3010 Posts
joined 30 May 08

Posted - 07 Oct 2009 :  11:33:46  Show Profile  Visit DeeMaC's Homepage Send DeeMaC a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
At all the fast tracks that require rather large gonads Courtney seems to do very very well. He has shown he is fast around Bathurst, so no wonder he is getting a lot of votes.

As for Murph and his record. That car should never have been able to run so it is rather boring when that is the main thing his fans carry on about.

Go to Top of Page

V8SuperRiley
Member 00004 of the Church of Ambroseology

Australia
3228 Posts
joined 29 Jan 08

Posted - 07 Oct 2009 :  11:53:57  Show Profile  Visit V8SuperRiley's Homepage  Click to see V8SuperRiley's MSN Messenger address Send V8SuperRiley a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by DeeMaC

At all the fast tracks that require rather large gonads Courtney seems to do very very well. He has shown he is fast around Bathurst, so no wonder he is getting a lot of votes.

As for Murph and his record. That car should never have been able to run so it is rather boring when that is the main thing his fans carry on about.

he is the only one with the nads big enough to push his car unlike some others out there.. many people have said they have never seen anyone push a car as hard through turn 8 at Clipsal like JC

_Mford

Edited by - V8SuperRiley on 07 Oct 2009 11:54:40
Go to Top of Page

supercar_freek
Team Manager

New Zealand
2500 Posts
joined 27 Feb 06

Posted - 07 Oct 2009 :  12:21:37  Show Profile Send supercar_freek a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by DeeMaC

The lap was bloody awesome and everyone on pit straight acknoledged it as something amazing. 6 years on an you still cannot accept the lap like the teams did back then.

As for comparing year on year, that is a different story and many have raised the different aspects that have made it hard to beat.

I cannot wait for it to be beaten so we don't have to put up with this topic every year.

Personally I don't believe it will be broken this year. I actually don't think they will come close.
Go to Top of Page

Tripple_8_Biggest_Fan
V8 Champion

Australia
915 Posts
joined 03 Nov 07

Posted - 07 Oct 2009 :  12:34:59  Show Profile Send Tripple_8_Biggest_Fan a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
With the sand at skyline removed they will break it they'll push harder in there and use more of the road.

Craig Lowndes & Jamie Whincup Are The Best Drivers In V8Supercars
Go to Top of Page

emm
Fujitsu Driver

Australia
601 Posts
joined 01 Jun 05

Posted - 07 Oct 2009 :  15:03:13  Show Profile  Click to see emm's MSN Messenger address Send emm a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I don't see the big deal about breaking the record every year. I'm not trying to take anything away from Murph and what he achieved that day (as it was simply awesome!) but wouldn't you rather be there at the end of lap 161 in P1 instead of just going for a flying lap?

I know which one I'd focus on more ;)

I can't see it being beaten. It takes a special set of circumstances, and a jet of a car. Not saying that no one has a jet car as I'm sure many do (888 and HRT come to mind) but with the weather the way it is or is looking to be, its going to be impossible to do it.

Frosty or Ricko?
Guess I'm just gonna have to tolerate the splinters

Go to Top of Page

murph_fan51
Team Manager

Australia
6157 Posts
joined 13 Dec 02

Posted - 07 Oct 2009 :  16:04:29  Show Profile  Visit murph_fan51's Homepage  Send murph_fan51 a Yahoo! Message Send murph_fan51 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
The cars can be much more aggressive over skyline now cause if they brake too late they can still pull it up on the new bitumen area instead of bouncing through sand as in previous years.

True, but I can't imagine the new bitumen run off will be grippy? It'll be full of dirt probably, especially by the top 10. The drivers may agree with your opinion though...

Go to Top of Page

XD_Falcon
Pit Crew

136 Posts
joined 19 Apr 07

Posted - 08 Oct 2009 :  09:56:56  Show Profile Send XD_Falcon a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I would have voted for Frosty, he is less likely to hang it on the fence than James.

If I were Dick Johnson I'd be very nervous of chasing record shootout laps, better to get to the finish line with a reasonable time in the top 5 or so and concentrate on the race.

and after 14 long years in the wilderness DJR came back with a new Ford hero ... who took off and signed for the Holden boys COTF what a joke
Go to Top of Page

motu_34
Team Manager

4089 Posts
joined 28 Aug 07

Posted - 08 Oct 2009 :  10:14:36  Show Profile Send motu_34 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by murph_fan51

quote:
The cars can be much more aggressive over skyline now cause if they brake too late they can still pull it up on the new bitumen area instead of bouncing through sand as in previous years.

True, but I can't imagine the new bitumen run off will be grippy? It'll be full of dirt probably, especially by the top 10. The drivers may agree with your opinion though...

If they make a mistake but and go straight ahead it'll be alot easier to just tap the brakes and slow down on the bitumen then using the gravel trap but, so you'll probably see more drivers giving it 100% through the esses now knowing that there's little consequence for stuffing up.
Go to Top of Page

DeeMaC
Team Manager

Australia
3010 Posts
joined 30 May 08

Posted - 08 Oct 2009 :  11:23:32  Show Profile  Visit DeeMaC's Homepage Send DeeMaC a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
How times have changed, Courtney has double the votes of Murphy and more than double of any other driver.
Go to Top of Page

kart_racer
Team Manager

Australia
2291 Posts
joined 22 Aug 07

Posted - 08 Oct 2009 :  17:17:22  Show Profile Send kart_racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Seeing as Whincup is only 0.5s away with 2 days of practice & qualifying to go, I'd say Murph's record will go easily barring rain or unusual weather.

We are likely to see it drop a couple of times by the shootout.

I should also add that 888 aren't traditionally the best qualifiers at Mt. Panorama, so Whincup's times are likely to be bettered by some of the other teams tomorrow, I don't think that many cars were looking at qualifying today, it's mostly about getting a well balanced and composed car before they worry about a qualifying setup.

"Bite off more than you can chew and chew like hell" - Peter Brock

It's coming...

_Mnissan

Edited by - kart_racer on 08 Oct 2009 17:19:13
Go to Top of Page

supercar_freek
Team Manager

New Zealand
2500 Posts
joined 27 Feb 06

Posted - 08 Oct 2009 :  17:33:33  Show Profile Send supercar_freek a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I was thinking the same thing KR. 0.5 sec is not much to go. But then I think that for it to rate in my opinion I would like to see it done on a shoot out lap. All or nothing not a buid up of fast laps and one gets it.

Either way I will congratulate who ever does it and I think it may be JW.

Man I love Bathurst!
Go to Top of Page

Murph51Fan
Team Manager

New Zealand
4809 Posts
joined 21 Jan 06

Posted - 08 Oct 2009 :  17:49:10  Show Profile Send Murph51Fan a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Madaz

quote:
Originally posted by v8fan

The truly great thing about Murph's lap was that it was about a second faster than Bowe's time in 2nd, which prior to Murph's lap was an absolute cracker in itself. So even if it does go, I doubt the lap will stand up as one of the truly great qualy laps of all time, as Murph's lap does now. Furthermore I must say that I am stoked that I was on the mountain that Sat arvo in 2003.

No, that's just your wishful thinking.

Whoever breaks the record will have to do a ripper lap and they'll go in the books as the fastest ever around Bathurst regardless of the personal sentimentality you feel having been there for Murphy's qualifying lap in 2003.

Nah, just your wishful thinking. Murph DID beat the field by over a second, its not "wishful thinking". The fact that he beat the field by so much made the lap more special.
Go to Top of Page

kart_racer
Team Manager

Australia
2291 Posts
joined 22 Aug 07

Posted - 08 Oct 2009 :  18:14:04  Show Profile Send kart_racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Murph51Fan

quote:
Originally posted by Madaz

quote:
Originally posted by v8fan

The truly great thing about Murph's lap was that it was about a second faster than Bowe's time in 2nd, which prior to Murph's lap was an absolute cracker in itself. So even if it does go, I doubt the lap will stand up as one of the truly great qualy laps of all time, as Murph's lap does now. Furthermore I must say that I am stoked that I was on the mountain that Sat arvo in 2003.

No, that's just your wishful thinking.

Whoever breaks the record will have to do a ripper lap and they'll go in the books as the fastest ever around Bathurst regardless of the personal sentimentality you feel having been there for Murphy's qualifying lap in 2003.

Nah, just your wishful thinking. Murph DID beat the field by over a second, its not "wishful thinking". The fact that he beat the field by so much made the lap more special.

I agree, back in 2003 when John Bowe did the 2:07.9 in the shootout everyone was amazed at that, it was the fastest anyone had gone at Bathurst so far (matched by Murphy, Skaife & Bowe himself the day before). If you watch a replay of the lap you will hear Matt White I think saying "that lap of Bowe's will look at big as the mountain in front of him" because it was going to take a ripper lap just to get pole.

But then to come out and drop a 2:06.8 was just unbelievable, and even if (when) it gets topped this weekend, nothing will take away from just how good a lap it was.

Funny thing is for the last few years many have come close (Skaife a 2:06.9), but it just never seems to get nudged.

"Bite off more than you can chew and chew like hell" - Peter Brock

It's coming...

_Mnissan
Go to Top of Page

COPTZR
BANNED

216 Posts
joined 22 Sep 09

Posted - 08 Oct 2009 :  18:49:30  Show Profile Send COPTZR a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Regardless of what anyone says (Fan boys, or Murph haters) that 2003 lap was something simply special.
Yes its easy to argue the weather was perfect, the car was perfect, etc, but Murph (above all the other drives, including the Skaife's, Ambroses', Tanders etc) put that car on pole and went faster by over a SECOND.

Quite simply for its time, that lap was remarkable. We can go on and on about how it shouldn't have been and all that non-sense but credit must be given where credit is due.

That said, who knows if it'll go this year. If it does, I would expect a 2.06.4/5/6. Just for a piece of current information, Skaife and Jason Richards are the only two other drives in history to go under the 7's at Bathurst. Skaife did it in 2006 in practice (2.06.9) and Richards did it last year (I think).

"If you read one publication, its time for us to hit the panic button, but if that was the case, then FPR should have done that about three years ago, - Garth Tander.

"Not Bad for a number 2 driver" - Mark Webber to his pit crew, after winning the British GP.
Go to Top of Page

SportsExtra_Motorsport
Fujitsu Driver

New Zealand
761 Posts
joined 29 Nov 08

Posted - 08 Oct 2009 :  19:59:41  Show Profile  Visit SportsExtra_Motorsport's Homepage  Click to see SportsExtra_Motorsport's MSN Messenger address Send SportsExtra_Motorsport a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Jason Richards if anyone does, perhaps Fabian might pull out a quick one

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2014 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.07 seconds.