V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Sports
 Other Sports
 Mundine stripped of title
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
10032 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 14 May 2012 :  18:18:47  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anthony Mundine hasn't given up on landing a fight with world champion Floyd Mayweather despite the WBA stripping him of his interim super welterweight title.

Mundine was the mandatory challenger to American title-holder Austin Trout but his camp failed to show at a purse bid set up by the WBA in late March.

Mundine, who turns 37 next week and has a record of 43 wins and four losses, said they couldn't find common ground.

"When we were negotiating Trout had no TV and was going to be reliant on fighting in my market and taking the majority of the share," Mundine told AAP.

However since then Trout (24-0), who pounded Australian Frank LoPorto last November, has signed a deal with influential manager Al Haymon and is scheduled to defend against Delvin Rodriguez in Los Angeles on June 2, with the bout telecast on Showtime.

Mundine now finds himself with no interim title, no American management after the expiry of his short-term deal with Cameron Dunkin, and he's off-side with the WBA.

He hasn't fought since he became the mandatory challenger with a decision win over Rigoberto Alvarez last October.

But the polarising boxer hasn't given up on landing the biggest fish in five-division world champion Mayweather (43-0).

"I just want to go after Mayweather, I don't want nobody else," Mundine said.

"He's the only one on my level.

"I want to fight the best ... I want to build up to the best but I've got to get over there."

He said he needed a credible fight in the US to get his name out there.

"I just need to get over there and showcase my skills against a credible opposition so they start talking about me and I get a name and a following," Mundine said.

He still believed Trout wasn't the right opponent because he'd never fought "a name".

"I offered him twice the amount he'd got in his whole career but he wanted to go to purse bid," Mundine said.

"I'm not going to sell myself short and get robbed by a guy who just barely became champion and then if I beat him I still won't get the credit I deserve."

Mundine said he hoped to sign off on a fight in the next 48 hours but didn't want to reveal any details, except that it wasn't re-matches with Danny Green or Daniel Geale.

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/news/article/-/13679310/mundine-stripped-of-interim-wba-title/

the undertaker
Team Manager

New Zealand
2717 Posts
joined 08 Nov 09

Posted - 14 May 2012 :  18:26:51  Show Profile Send the undertaker a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
What a ****ing tosser.
Go to Top of Page

HRTKLR
No.1 Ford Fan

Australia
9296 Posts
joined 20 Dec 02

Posted - 14 May 2012 :  20:27:07  Show Profile Send HRTKLR a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
When I read the thread title I thought he'd been stripped of his title of 'human being'.

He's a complete and utter waste of space. Worst Australian ever.
Go to Top of Page

HDT05
Team Manager

Australia
6165 Posts
joined 15 Feb 11

Posted - 16 May 2012 :  01:48:31  Show Profile Send HDT05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Danny Green guffaws at the notion of Anthony Mundine facing Floyd Mayweather Junior

DANNY Green reckons Floyd Mayweather would laugh off a challenge from Anthony Mundine - if only the flamboyant American knew who he was.

Stripped of his WBA junior middleweight interim title this week - after failing to fight legitimate division champion Austin Trout - Mundine went immediately on Fox Sports News to say he was chasing a bout with undefeated superstar Mayweather.

It comes despite the fact Mundine's manager Khoder Nasser has been negotiating a re-match with Green for months - with the ageing fighters in talks as recently as last week.

Asked last night about the Mayweather challenge, Green told The Daily Telegraph: "How can that ever happen when Floyd has no idea who Anthony Mundine is?

"I'm sure in Fantasy Land it's a chance.

"But here on planet Earth, it's not even something Mayweather can have considered because he doesn't know the bloke exists."

It has now been six years since Mundine and Green staged the most lucrative fight in Australian boxing history - a $20 million blockbuster that saw the former score a lopsided points decision.

And while four weight divisions now separate the pair, Choc recently went on record saying he would give up 10kg to make the bout happen.

"But does he mean it - who knows?" Green continued. "Anthony talks about wanting the biggest fight ... well, the biggest fight for him - the one he can genuinely have, not just talk about - is me. I can retire without fighting him again. I'm okay with that. But Anthony has been calling me out ever since he entered the ring immediately after I beat Roy Jones Jnr. It's the fight Australian punters want and I'm more than happy to make it happen."

As revealed by The Daily Telegraph last month, Mundine refused to take a bout with WBA junior middleweight champ Trout despite being the mandatory challenger. His controversial refusal against the undefeated American came shortly after claiming he wanted to take the US fight scene by storm.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/boxing/danny-green-guffaws-at-the-notion-of-anthony-mundine-facing-floyd-mayweather-junior/story-e6freygr-1226356715500

Peter Brock 1945 - 2006 RIP #05
RIP Dale Earnhardt 1951 - 2001 #3
RIP Dan Wheldon 1978 - 2011
RIP Jason Richards 1976 - 2011
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
16500 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 16 May 2012 :  07:56:51  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
they can get away with calling Mundine "Choc"??? is that his nickname??

sorry but i don't follow the bloke or boxing so i don't have a clue here and seeing that name instantly led my head to places a lawyer would love..

Go to Top of Page

HDT05
Team Manager

Australia
6165 Posts
joined 15 Feb 11

Posted - 16 May 2012 :  12:50:32  Show Profile Send HDT05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sonic

they can get away with calling Mundine "Choc"??? is that his nickname??

sorry but i don't follow the bloke or boxing so i don't have a clue here and seeing that name instantly led my head to places a lawyer would love..

Nah it's just a nick name mate...

Peter Brock 1945 - 2006 RIP #05
RIP Dale Earnhardt 1951 - 2001 #3
RIP Dan Wheldon 1978 - 2011
RIP Jason Richards 1976 - 2011
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
16500 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 16 May 2012 :  13:29:03  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
thanks HDT... i can't stand the guys attitude and arrogance but nickname or not it just seems wrong...

couldn't even do it as a 'mate', be like calling a black mate a 'nigger'... just sits really wrong with me..

Go to Top of Page

Stones Fan
Formula Ford Driver

Australia
312 Posts
joined 04 Jun 07

Posted - 16 May 2012 :  15:23:51  Show Profile Send Stones Fan a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
He got the nickname because of his addiction to chocolates. No bull.

As for the topic at hand, the interview on Fox Sports is a must see.

Mundine first breath: "I'm not going to fight Trout and let him take the majority share of the purse."
Mundine second breath: "It's not about the money, I don't care who I fight. Line them up in front of me and they will all fall like dominos"

Jesus....

_Mamg
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
16500 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 16 May 2012 :  15:47:58  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
hmm... he knows how to contradict himself doesn't he.. sometimes you have to do part a to get to part b where you really want to be..

thanks for the reasoning SF :)

Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
9994 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 16 May 2012 :  15:51:16  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Anthony Mundine thinks he's god's gift to the boxing world... He's far from it.

"Holden name goes, T8 and HRT band together and become: Chevrolet United National Team Sports, has a nice ring? Headed up by Roland of course!!" - REM

_Mford

"This whole thing is just a media beat up and you V8 Supercar fans( another name for suckers, bogans, lowlifes etc ) have taken the bait hook line and sinker." - Champcarman
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
10032 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 15 Jul 2012 :  18:31:20  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
He actually went to the US and won

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/news/article/-/14236734/mundine-enjoys-tko-victory-over-mckart/
Go to Top of Page

Stones Fan
Formula Ford Driver

Australia
312 Posts
joined 04 Jun 07

Posted - 16 Jul 2012 :  10:30:43  Show Profile Send Stones Fan a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hahaha! Of course he did. Bronco McKart was being urged to retire ten years ago! That is no exageration either. Now to take on the big boys. If he get's in the ring with Saul Alvarez or Miguel Cotto, win,lose or draw, I will respect him for it.

He will still be a dick though.

_Mamg
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
8745 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 30 Jan 2017 :  16:36:37  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've exhumed this old thread instead of starting a new one.

So Mundine won't stand for the National Anthem? Fair enough, so how about any time Danny Green puts him on the canvas, they play the National Anthem? (I wish I had thought of that myself.)
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
15404 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 30 Jan 2017 :  17:24:20  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

I've exhumed this old thread instead of starting a new one.

So Mundine won't stand for the National Anthem? Fair enough, so how about any time Danny Green puts him on the canvas, they play the National Anthem? (I wish I had thought of that myself.)

whilst I like the idea....
didn't green loose to him last time?

2017 fantasy league
BATHURST CHAMPION !!!
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
8745 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 30 Jan 2017 :  17:45:46  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
He only has to put him on the canvas once.
Go to Top of Page

bundy1
BANNED

2179 Posts
joined 02 Mar 16

Posted - 30 Jan 2017 :  19:37:53  Show Profile Send bundy1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Show of hands who's watching it?

Well said - sums up the hypocrisy of LG and the fordies -
http://www.v8central.com/snitz3403/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39351&whichpage=11#875389

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2016 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.19 seconds.