No banner in farm
V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 International Series
 Motor Cycling
 MotoGP 2014
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kytabu
First of the losers

Australia
2735 Posts
joined 31 Dec 08

Posted - 14 Jul 2014 :  10:57:15  Show Profile  Visit Kytabu's Homepage Send Kytabu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose the question is...barring a crash or mechanical failure, can anyone beat Marc Marquez this season?

He has had duels with Rossi, Lorenzo and Pedrosa; had to come back through the field in France; had changing weather at Assen, the same in Germany plus a pitlane start. Not to mention a couple of dominating rides in America and Spain. Every possible scenario and he keeps emerging on top.

Great to see Jack Miller leading in Moto3, too, hopefully he can keep it going all season.

Photography ByKye | Motorsport Photography ByKye
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, **** yeah!"

_Mvolvo

Sonic

Australia
17300 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 14 Jul 2014 :  11:04:40  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
was talking about this too last night Ky...

what is the highest amount of wins for a season? what percentage would that be? surely at 9 from 9 he has to be in for some record breaking season that we are unlikely to see again... even Rossi I don't remember being this dominant (and he was a real champion)

Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22544 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 14 Jul 2014 :  11:22:56  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Unbelievable accomplishment!
Go to Top of Page

Darren351
Team Manager

Australia
5141 Posts
joined 12 Jul 04

Posted - 14 Jul 2014 :  11:26:47  Show Profile Send Darren351 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The kids very good. I thought the race might've been open to someone else to win considering how the race started. But he fought his way through to win.
Go to Top of Page

Kytabu
First of the losers

Australia
2735 Posts
joined 31 Dec 08

Posted - 14 Jul 2014 :  11:29:54  Show Profile  Visit Kytabu's Homepage Send Kytabu a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giacomo_Agostini#Complete_Grand_Prix_motorcycle_racing_results.5B5.5D

If you want winning records just take a look at Agostini's results, particularly 1968 to 1970! 20 straight for Agostini in the 500cc class (38 if you exclude the races he didn't take part in), and 10 out of 10 in 1968.

I think Mick Doohan has most wins in a season with 12 (from 15 races) in 1997, which included 10 in a row. Rossi won 11 in a season a couple of times, as did Stoner in 2011.

So I think Marquez will end up with the most wins in a single season in the premier class. Whether or not he can win all 18 will be interesting.

_Mvolvo

Edited by - Kytabu on 14 Jul 2014 11:30:48
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11295 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 14 Jul 2014 :  11:39:53  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Marquez is just a brilliant rider on a brilliant bike.
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10442 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 14 Jul 2014 :  17:38:10  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The win last night seemed to be his easiest, at least since COTA. Pedrosa was there all race but Marquez never seemed troubled...

Makes you wonder why Pedrosa re-signed for a further two years in a way...
Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
10697 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 14 Jul 2014 :  21:24:06  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
He's got talent, that's for sure. I actually want him to win every race this year. It'd be awesome to see a perfect season. But I feel with nine races left, something will stop him in at least one of them. That said, I didn't think he'd make it nine straight.

_Mford

"This whole thing is just a media beat up and you V8 Supercar fans( another name for suckers, bogans, lowlifes etc ) have taken the bait hook line and sinker." - Champcarman
Go to Top of Page

bigem
A polar bear

Australia
16129 Posts
joined 22 Jun 04

Posted - 14 Jul 2014 :  22:40:17  Show Profile Send bigem a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kytabu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giacomo_Agostini#Complete_Grand_Prix_motorcycle_racing_results.5B5.5D

If you want winning records just take a look at Agostini's results, particularly 1968 to 1970! 20 straight for Agostini in the 500cc class (38 if you exclude the races he didn't take part in), and 10 out of 10 in 1968.

I think Mick Doohan has most wins in a season with 12 (from 15 races) in 1997, which included 10 in a row. Rossi won 11 in a season a couple of times, as did Stoner in 2011.

So I think Marquez will end up with the most wins in a single season in the premier class. Whether or not he can win all 18 will be interesting.

Agostini made his records when he had the only bike capable of winning.

MM has competition on equal bikes to beat!!

New Commodore Hey! So you used your own money? Would you like to buy a used bridge?
Go to Top of Page

Kytabu
First of the losers

Australia
2735 Posts
joined 31 Dec 08

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  08:14:32  Show Profile  Visit Kytabu's Homepage Send Kytabu a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Marquez finally defeated. All the way down to fourth.

Didn't really look at his best last night, but I think he would have found it hard to beat Pedrosa and Lorenzo anyway as they both put in really good rides. Good battles at the start of the race.

_Mvolvo
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22544 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  08:31:36  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It had to happen - winning streaks don't last forever but he had a great run.
The question is will the loss affect him or will he bounce right back next race?
Go to Top of Page

Darren351
Team Manager

Australia
5141 Posts
joined 12 Jul 04

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  09:02:44  Show Profile Send Darren351 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I wondered how long it would be. Good effort though.
Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
10697 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  21:44:49  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm actually somewhat disappointed. I wanted to see a rider do a perfect season, just for something different, but good job by Pedrosa, and also I suppose Lorenzo and Rossi. Now I kinda want to see Honda do a perfect year.

_Mford

"This whole thing is just a media beat up and you V8 Supercar fans( another name for suckers, bogans, lowlifes etc ) have taken the bait hook line and sinker." - Champcarman
Go to Top of Page

HiTone
Formula Ford Driver

Australia
405 Posts
joined 12 Feb 11

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  02:39:10  Show Profile Send HiTone a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Interesting to see the faring banging going on between Marquez and the Ducati.

One thing I've noticed is the woeful starts Marquez seems to get every round. I hope the team are working on that as he appears to have to play catch up for the first few laps until he gets to the pointy end.

Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
10697 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  22:09:19  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I hear Marquez learned starts from Mark Webber.

_Mford

Go to Top of Page

Darren351
Team Manager

Australia
5141 Posts
joined 12 Jul 04

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  09:34:53  Show Profile Send Darren351 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
For a kid this good you think he'd be able to get the thing off the line.

As for Webber, can you imagine being behind him at a set of lights.....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2020 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.11 seconds.