V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Sports
 Other Sports
 Phillip Hughes Passes.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

the undertaker
Team Manager

New Zealand
2717 Posts
joined 08 Nov 09

Posted - 27 Nov 2014 :  13:53:07  Show Profile Send the undertaker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very sad news, from a competitor country, he will be sadly missed.

spoonster05
Team Manager

Monaco
12922 Posts
joined 18 Sep 05

Posted - 27 Nov 2014 :  14:30:27  Show Profile Send spoonster05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Very sad day and a tragic end to what could have been a stellar career as still quite young

Thoughts are with Phil's family, friends and team mates at this difficult time and also with Sean Abbott

Edited by - spoonster05 on 27 Nov 2014 14:39:54
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
20794 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 27 Nov 2014 :  15:01:13  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Terribly sad day for all involved, especially the Hughes and the Abbotts.

RIP Phil Hughes.
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 27 Nov 2014 :  17:18:12  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
RIP. Very tragic news. I think all cricket should be called off this weekend as a mark of respect.

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.
Go to Top of Page

bigem
A polar bear

Australia
15302 Posts
joined 22 Jun 04

Posted - 27 Nov 2014 :  17:55:09  Show Profile Send bigem a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Heart-breaking news.

Fabulous young man with a fantastic future, sadly, not to be.

Thoughts to Phillips family, friends and the cricketing fraternity.

RIP Phillip Hughes

Step into a Holden! I'd rather step in a dog's turd!
Go to Top of Page

Zanzibar
Pit Crew

Australia
189 Posts
joined 22 Aug 11

Posted - 27 Nov 2014 :  17:57:34  Show Profile Send Zanzibar a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, this adds to the list of freakish accidents that have occurred in all sports this year. Never in a million years would you expect something like this to happen and is very sad news.
Go to Top of Page

Whatthe
Team Manager

Australia
1698 Posts
joined 16 May 06

Posted - 27 Nov 2014 :  20:02:45  Show Profile Send Whatthe a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I got a message about an hour before the media announcement from a mate who is a Cricket official. I was in shock and walking around Costco with tears in my eyes. A great cricketer and by all accounts an even better bloke. Absolutely gutted.

Sometimes it's good to be BLUE!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 27 Nov 2014 :  20:41:29  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Tragedy. I never believed something like that could happen. What a terrible loss to sport in general.

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
9994 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 27 Nov 2014 :  23:24:38  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Just terrible news. I was actually really surprised when I heard it on the news tonight, because I genuinely didn't believe it would kill him. I thought it would be similar to Schumacher. It's just awful news to hear.

This is a terrible reminder that any sport can be dangerous.

Rest in peace Phil Hughes.

"Holden name goes, T8 and HRT band together and become: Chevrolet United National Team Sports, has a nice ring? Headed up by Roland of course!!" - REM

_Mford

"This whole thing is just a media beat up and you V8 Supercar fans( another name for suckers, bogans, lowlifes etc ) have taken the bait hook line and sinker." - Champcarman
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
16500 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 28 Nov 2014 :  06:12:55  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
they had one of the cricket guys on the radio when I was driving to work and I believe (hope I get this right) that he said it wasn't an impact with the skull but that it hit an artery? however it plays he is gone and that is just the saddest news.

something tells me that we actually lost 2 players because I don't know that Abbott will be back either, so gutted for him too.

Go to Top of Page

Whatthe
Team Manager

Australia
1698 Posts
joined 16 May 06

Posted - 28 Nov 2014 :  06:45:14  Show Profile Send Whatthe a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sonic

they had one of the cricket guys on the radio when I was driving to work and I believe (hope I get this right) that he said it wasn't an impact with the skull but that it hit an artery? however it plays he is gone and that is just the saddest news.

something tells me that we actually lost 2 players because I don't know that Abbott will be back either, so gutted for him too.

The impact was to the neck just below the back of the skull. It burst the main artery to the brain and caused a massive bleed into the brain. This type of injury is usually immediately fatal but there was some very good medical attention at the ground before he was transported. I really do feel for Sean Abbott and I would be surprised if he did play again too. Just devastating for all involved. I didn't know Philip Hughes personally but even I am still feeling a bit numb this morning. I can't imagine how his family, friends and those players that were there when it happened must feel. Also, massive kudos to the Australian Captain, Michael Clark. Michaels response to what has happened has been exemplary and shows why he is Captain.

Sometimes it's good to be BLUE!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
9994 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 28 Nov 2014 :  20:57:57  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's just crazy. I don't even watch cricket, and I'd only ever heard of Phillip Hughes. I wouldn't have been able to identify him if I tripped over him in the street. But still, this just breaks my heart. Only 25, three days out from his birthday, which for me makes it all so much sadder, especially given that there were probably plans and presents and things already in place for his birthday. The touching "put down your bat" thing going around online, it almost brings a tear to my eye. Just a stupidly awful, massively unlucky tragedy.

I hope Sean Abbott is in a good state of mind, because I can't even begin to imagine how horrible that might feel. It wasn't his fault, but sadly that doesn't seem to make the whole situation any better.

"Holden name goes, T8 and HRT band together and become: Chevrolet United National Team Sports, has a nice ring? Headed up by Roland of course!!" - REM

_Mford

"This whole thing is just a media beat up and you V8 Supercar fans( another name for suckers, bogans, lowlifes etc ) have taken the bait hook line and sinker." - Champcarman
Go to Top of Page

the undertaker
Team Manager

New Zealand
2717 Posts
joined 08 Nov 09

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  02:52:15  Show Profile Send the undertaker a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Great to see NZ and Pakistan show support of Phillip Hughes, first as a mark of respect suspending play for a day, and then the symbol of unity behind the pain of losing a great friend and colleague.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11366265
Go to Top of Page

Wrighty05
Last of the Big Bangers

Tonga
6750 Posts
joined 25 Aug 03

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  06:59:09  Show Profile  Click to see Wrighty05's MSN Messenger address Send Wrighty05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
One of the saddest sport stories ever. RIP Phil

RIP05

_Mholden

RIP LJ - loved and never forgotten.

"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

The Peter Brock trophy is now where it belongs.
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
20794 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  07:16:38  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I read about a little boy who put his bat and ball out as a mark of respect.
When quizzed about the ball, he said,"That's for Sean."
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  19:21:19  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yep we put our bats out before my game today and had a minute silence. We also played it in the spirit that batsmen who edge the ball walk.

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2016 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds.