V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Sports
 Other Sports
 Richie Benaud RIP
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
8745 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 10 Apr 2015 :  08:58:13  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know the correct use of the word 'icon' when it comes to sporting figures, but I'm sure that Richie was one. Richie was as big a part of cricket in Australia as any one person could be.

Wrighty05
Last of the Big Bangers

Tonga
6750 Posts
joined 25 Aug 03

Posted - 10 Apr 2015 :  09:53:32  Show Profile  Click to see Wrighty05's MSN Messenger address Send Wrighty05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've been dreading this day for 20 years. Zac, the word icon gets overused in this country, but it is definitely applicable in this case.

His less is more style is something the modern commentator could learn from.

RIP Richie, our summers will never be the same.

These two clips sum him up.
First one understated commentary the next one his dry wit.

http://youtu.be/JeUymv_k65o

http://youtu.be/mea0N8BOiVs

RIP05

_Mholden

RIP LJ - loved and never forgotten.

"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

The Peter Brock trophy is now where it belongs.
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5492 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 10 Apr 2015 :  10:34:23  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
RIP Richie, great to listen to, a little frustrating at times, and also a fantastic cricketer in his own right

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
20794 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 10 Apr 2015 :  10:41:13  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Very sad news this morning.

Richie touched and entertained many people firstly as a great cricketer and then in his sporting afterlife as arguably the best cricket commentator in the world.

By all reports I have ever seen he was a thorough gentleman (used to date my late mother-in-law ) and a great example for any person to aspire to.

Our lack of knowledge and understanding of what the sun can do to us was his undoing and recently he was doing advertising warning of the dangers of that.

I'm glad for him and his family and friends that he went peacefully in his sleep.

RIP Richie.
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 10 Apr 2015 :  12:22:45  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
RIP - truly one of the greatest ever sports commentators. What should be remembered as well is that he was an oustanding Australian captain too.

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2016 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds.