No banner in farm
V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 International Series
 General
 WEC/IMSA 2K17
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11298 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 07 Jan 2017 :  14:10:26  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is the year 2017 AD, with the AD in this instance being After Diesel. 2017 is all change in sportscarland. No Webber, No Audi, no DPs, no rear engined Porsche 911.

As we already know, there will be no four ringed circus in the World Endurance Championship this year as Audi announced their surprising withdrawal (along with many withdrawals) from top class sports car racing. If you want to follow Audi this year, their efforts are now confined to DTM, World RX, TCR and GT3. This leaves Toyota and Porsche to fight it out in P1, with a possible challenge from the world famous dentist's Collin Kolles team if reliability is an issue. The Collin is the only privateer P1 entry this year, with Rebellion moving down to P2.

Speaking of which, is all change. Gone is a choice of engines (Nissan, Judd BMW or Honda), gone are the open cockpits, and gone are self developed chassis (Strakka -Dome, SMP Bro1). Tyre selection is open. Chassis selection is open to a choice of four manufacturers (Oreca, Dallara, Ligier and Riley/Multimatic) and the control engine is a 4.2L V8.

On the other side of the Pacific, IMSA have adopted the global P2 rules as their top class, with a slight difference. As with anything American, it has to be done "differently", which in this instance is a good thing. IMSA loved the idea of the 2016 P2 rules governing different engines that they kept that part of the rulebook. These versions of the P2 chassis will be called DPi, or Daytona Prototype international. The international part won't be the case as the ACO tapped on the head any possibility of the US P2s racing at Le Mans, unless they are the ACO rules packaged ones.

In the revamped DPi category in IMSA, we have these.

Mazda RT24-P based on the Riley Multimatic chassis

Cadillac DPi - Dallara

Nissan DPi - Ligier

Under the US P2/DPi rulebook, manufacturer backed cars must not only run a manufacturer based engine, but must have manufacturer inspired bodywork. In my opinion, they are better executed than I thought they would be. If you've followed Grand Am, the current DPis are similar to the Corvette DP, and not like the old DPs where manufacturer styling meant NASCAR headlight decals.

DPi will also include the global P2 ruleset, with many teams opting for that route. Some have moved up from the soon to be deceased Prototype Challenge with Rebellion contesting the North American Endurance Challenge.

For GTE, there aren't any changes. Porsche are back in a factory capacity with their mid engined Cayman 911 RSR.

In IMSA GTD, which is run under the GT3 ruleset, there aren't many changes either. The Lexus RCF GT3 will finally make its non Nurburgring/VLN debut. It will still be run by Rocketsports, but under the name 3GT Racing.

Michael Shank Racing, who were in the prototype class last year, will now head up Hondas GT3 program in IMSA, where they will be running the Honda (or Acura) NSX GT3.

Last year the last appearance of the snakes in GTD. With the Viper no longer produced and no longer eligible for IMSA competition (manufacturers have to pay a fee to enter), they have been replaced with something equally front engined, and equally awesome. Mercedes have paid to play and the AMG GT3 will make its first appearance at this years Daytona 24 Hour.

Last years VASC champion will be one and aim for the Patron North American Endurance Cup:

Expat Aussie and solar power magnate Kenny Habul will be in another:

I'm sure there's more news, but I'm not sure what it is.

Oh yeah, Tim Allen, Paul Newman, Patrick Dempsey (and i'm sure numerous others) won't be the only actors to race in the Rolex 24 Hour.

This bloke will line up in the Wayne Taylor Konica Minolta Caddy DPi.

Edited by - CP on 07 Jan 2017 14:13:12

STP01
Team Manager

1528 Posts
joined 15 Mar 07

Posted - 08 Jan 2017 :  10:03:38  Show Profile Send STP01 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I like the direct the USA has taken with DPi. The new cars look pretty good (although I loved the last Corvette DP!).

Jeff Gordon driving a DPi might get some bums on seats!

Congratulations Jamie Whincup on 7 Championships!
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10445 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 08 Jan 2017 :  19:36:22  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If massaged right this DPi formula has the potential to take IMSA back to it's mid-80s heyday. If it gets some traction it will attract some manufacturers turned off by the high costs of getting into LMP1 these days

The Mazda looks very good, hopefully it goes as good as it looks.

I'm warming up for this years Rolex 24 by watching the 1986 event currently, great stuff.....just wish IMSA would let the NASCARs back in for 24hr
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11298 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 18 Jan 2017 :  10:17:43  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A look around the Porsche Cayman 911 RSR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hrrjPJM6kY
Go to Top of Page

mikeamerica84
V8CFL Tsar

USA
1306 Posts
joined 11 Jan 08

Posted - 21 Jan 2017 :  00:52:13  Show Profile Send mikeamerica84 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rolex 24 entry list:

http://competitors.imsa.com/sites/default/files/2017_iwsc_rolex_pre-event_entry.pdf

No Aussies - not even SVG (for now). Only Kiwi is Hartley.

The V8CFL - Without fantasy, life is simply life
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11298 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 21 Jan 2017 :  13:44:03  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mikeamerica84

Rolex 24 entry list:

http://competitors.imsa.com/sites/default/files/2017_iwsc_rolex_pre-event_entry.pdf

The Giz will definitely be there Mike, and Kenny Habul is an expat.

The WeatherTech series looks far more appealing than WEC this year.
Go to Top of Page

mikeamerica84
V8CFL Tsar

USA
1306 Posts
joined 11 Jan 08

Posted - 21 Jan 2017 :  14:34:02  Show Profile Send mikeamerica84 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CP

quote:

Rolex 24 entry list:

First off, I screwed up alleging SVG was an Aussie. Head down, tail between my legs....

Upon further review: Scott Dixon is in a Ganassi Ford GT for GTLM, so there is another Kiwi - top shelf at that. SVG is in the #50 Merc AMG in GTD. I don't think I missed it earlier. I think the list has been updated. And I forgot about Habul. I was looking for AUS (country) and overlooked him. KH is in the #75 Merc AMG in GTD.

I'll figure this out yet.

This race event will be great. Can't wait.

Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10445 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 21 Jan 2017 :  15:00:07  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The only shame is that yet again we won't be able to watch the race on TV in Australia
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11298 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 21 Jan 2017 :  15:38:09  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by CP

quote:

Rolex 24 entry list:

First off, I screwed up alleging SVG was an Aussie. Head down, tail between my legs....

Upon further review: Scott Dixon is in a Ganassi Ford GT for GTLM, so there is another Kiwi - top shelf at that. SVG is in the #50 Merc AMG in GTD. I don't think I missed it earlier. I think the list has been updated. And I forgot about Habul. I was looking for AUS (country) and overlooked him. KH is in the #75 Merc AMG in GTD.

I'll figure this out yet.

This race event will be great. Can't wait.

Having a look at the entry list, I can see why you couldn't find any Aussies Mike. They've got Ryan Briscoe listed as American too.
Go to Top of Page

mikeamerica84
V8CFL Tsar

USA
1306 Posts
joined 11 Jan 08

Posted - 21 Jan 2017 :  22:18:45  Show Profile Send mikeamerica84 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fast by Ferracci

The only shame is that yet again we won't be able to watch the race on TV in Australia

Here in the States, I can only get five hours of coverage - a few at the beginning and a few at the end.

Thank goodness for the internet and the Euro broadcasts.

Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
10704 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 22 Jan 2017 :  22:44:21  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Don't be sorry for mistaking Giz as an Aussie Mike, we often claim Kiwis as our own. They're very similar people to us, except they talk a bit funny. I'm sure they claim Aussies overseas often too.

_Mford

"This whole thing is just a media beat up and you V8 Supercar fans( another name for suckers, bogans, lowlifes etc ) have taken the bait hook line and sinker." - Champcarman
Go to Top of Page

mikeamerica84
V8CFL Tsar

USA
1306 Posts
joined 11 Jan 08

Posted - 23 Jan 2017 :  02:40:08  Show Profile Send mikeamerica84 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by DJRford

Don't be sorry for mistaking Giz as an Aussie Mike, we often claim Kiwis as our own. They're very similar people to us, except they talk a bit funny. I'm sure they claim Aussies overseas often too.

I'm now following you, mate. Kind of like how we are claiming Ryan Briscoe is now an American!

Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11298 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 23 Jan 2017 :  13:20:13  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Boris and Paul have reunited. This time they are on the high banks.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/01/23/morris-lands-late-daytona-24-hours-drive/
Go to Top of Page

mikeamerica84
V8CFL Tsar

USA
1306 Posts
joined 11 Jan 08

Posted - 27 Jan 2017 :  06:53:27  Show Profile Send mikeamerica84 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
2017 Rolex 24 spotter's guide:

http://www.spotterguides.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/SG_17_DAY_v1.pdf

Good stuff!

Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11298 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 27 Jan 2017 :  09:37:56  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The Caddies have locked out the first 2 spots on the grid in Prototype, with the Rebellion Oreca third and the WTR entry with Jeff Gordon third.

Ford have done something very unsurprising and locked out the first three spots in GTLM.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/01/26/barbosa-puts-action-express-cadillac-on-pole-for-rolex-24.html

EDIT: Livestream is here.

http://imsatv.imsa.com/

And if you miss it, fear not. IMSA do something that V8 Supercars hasn't done for years, and that is upload the races to their Youtube channel.

FURTHER EDIT: Could we see Scott and Fabs in the hunt for a Rolex Daytona next year?

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/138173-penske-honda-imsa-dpi-expected-in-2018

Edited by - CP on 18 Feb 2017 14:58:04
Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
10704 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 18 Feb 2017 :  21:19:51  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'd say it'd be somewhat unlikely, but it'd be awesome if they did give them a go at Daytona!

_Mford

"This whole thing is just a media beat up and you V8 Supercar fans( another name for suckers, bogans, lowlifes etc ) have taken the bait hook line and sinker." - Champcarman
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2020 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.88 seconds.