No banner in farm
V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 International Series
 General
 Random talk.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1656 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 27 Aug 2018 :  22:18:48  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
When you consider how WIn Percy went in the atcc, John won the 1995 btcc and how he performed in 5lt cars, I wonder how he'd have gone in the correlating years of the atcc?

I looked up the 97 btcc results. I remember Honda being good despite just two wins. There's a number of 2nd places to Menu that year, which is like a win considering how dominant Menu was.

From what I remember, I'm pretty confident David Leslie would've done better than both Tarquini and Thompson had he not moved to Nissan.

I'm aware that Ludwig won the 98 GT title. It was a year to stopped buying Auto Action regularly in favour of 3 week old Autosports. It was a free championship for Klaus, driving for effectively the only manufacturer, in a car that would've dominated a field with more cars, and the benefit of not being partnered with Webber. On top of that, Zonta did all the heavy lifting of the pair.

No1 fan of James Courtney's ex-wife!
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10445 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 28 Aug 2018 :  16:56:22  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You've made it too difficult for me to disagree about the 1998 GT Championship, it was a two-horse race and he had the right horse. It was a shame the series dropped off so much between 1997 and 1998... and a shame that Porsche didn't offer any resistence, only really Allan McNish stirred the Mercs up early in the races.

Agreed on Cleland, I think he'd have done great out here especially in the early V8 years where he would have given as good as he got.

I'm not sure how Percy would have gone post-1992, his style I don't think was as suited to the "win or crash" attitude that so many adopted in the 1993-onwards period. It's a pity he wasn't racing over here a few years earlier than 1990.

I think Leslie would have done well in a 1997 Honda as well, he spent two years developing the Honda from scratch, only to then move to Nissan and do the same again, he got his rewards in 1999 though with the Nissan, Laurent Aiello had him covered though.

Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1656 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 28 Aug 2018 :  18:18:05  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I really wasn't interested in diminishing the merit of Klaus' 98 GT title win. I was more interested in having a pop at Webber...

edit: More random talk from my btcc yt viewing.

I never knew Tomas Mezera competed in the btcc. I suspect this is common knowledge to fans older than myself?

Why didn't Rob Gravett's career take off after the btcc win?

Edited by - journeyman racer on 31 Aug 2018 23:29:02
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10445 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 02 Sep 2018 :  03:43:19  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think Gravett's career lost all the momentum built up in 1989 & 1990 through his Trakstar team deciding to develop the Ford Sapphire on their own for 1991. The car was very uncompetitive and they threw it away at the end of the year. The team should have just done what every other non-manufacturer backed team did in 1991, bought a BMW M3, especially as a privateer one won the title.

He joined Peugeot as a start-up team in 1992, but was dropped at the end of 1993... he ran around as a privateer for a few years after that.

The last I really saw of Gravett was when he made cracking start in the 1998 Bathurst 1000, going from 8th to 4th by the first corner

I do recall Mezera doing a few BTCC rounds in 1990, driving the Labatts Sierra wasn't it, subbing for Tim Harvey (or was it Laurance Bristow in other car)? Stig Blomqvist also did the Donington enduro alongside Gravett that year too, spinning on the last corner of the race. Damon Hill had a run as well.

Edited by - Fast by Ferracci on 02 Sep 2018 03:57:55
Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1656 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 02 Sep 2018 :  09:13:52  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, that's very good. A new class, and developing a new car was too much for a privateer.

What about Tomas, why didn't he kick on? Aside from a Bathurst win, it's a pretty miserable career.

Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10445 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 02 Sep 2018 :  13:26:55  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm not sure about his Euro career, he was English based from 1986 to 1991, i'm guessing he just never got the budget to do things properly. I assume his BTCC drives were off the back of the Bathurst win. It's interesting that the Labatts cars were run by Andy Rouse, who raced Brock's car at Bathurst in 1990, but Mezera ran at Bathurst in a Commodore at Bathurst that year.

I think Mezera got a raw deal with his ATCC career. He was hired to replace Win Percy in 1992 but they only did 3 rounds and didn't develop the car as they were focused on 1993. In 1993 he got pole for the first round, but mid-year HRT sacked the team manager and put Mezera in charge of the team so he was no longer just a driver, then for 1994 they hired Brock so Mezera was forgotten about in the number 2 role until they replaced him with Lowndes..... he probably could have done better, but he never really got a settled season until 1994, but they'd brought Brock in by then.

Tim Harvey was a curious case in the BTCC, probably should have achieved but also seemed to squander the chances he had when he had a good car
Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1656 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 02 Sep 2018 :  17:32:41  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Tomas got 3rd at Brands Hatch in 89. It's an interesting path. BTCC one year, Japanese sportscars the next. As I type, David Brabham did that as well.

As for Tim Harvey? He's obviously got the 1 btcc. But he won the GpA class as well in 87. Which in some regards is like another btcc outright, in that it was the class at the front and would've got most of the media attention.

There's a good doco on the btcc which I thought was pretty good, BTCC Legends or something? Going through its history, it was interesting to note how long they went with a class system. If that type of championship was introduced now, this site, fb and others would go into meltdown!

Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10445 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 04 Sep 2018 :  16:35:43  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The outright class was the most competitive in 1987 as well, plenty of quick Rovers as well as the Sierra's, BMWs and the Commodore too. Harvey bounced around teams though, he left Renault right as they got good, blew in and out of Volvo and then had uncompetitive Peugeot's for three seasons.

David Brabham picked the wrong year to drive a BMW in Super Touring

I didn't mind the Championship being based around Class points, they should have done what the ATCC and ETCC/WTCC did though and have bonus points on top of that for outright results.
You are right though, in the modern world fans can barely even comphrehend multi-class racing, letalone a points system that gives lesser classes a chance at overall titles.

Edited by - Fast by Ferracci on 04 Sep 2018 16:38:58
Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1656 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 05 Sep 2018 :  20:37:39  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
How long have you been following racing?

Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10445 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 07 Sep 2018 :  15:22:18  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Early 80s for me, have always loved watching everything pretty much from when I was a kid. How about you?
Go to Top of Page

oldtimer
Team Manager

4438 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 07 Sep 2018 :  19:39:02  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
About 1954 for me.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
Groucho Marx
Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1656 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 09 Sep 2018 :  09:47:29  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I vaguely remember watching 89 Bathurst and the AGP. Then by 91 I was fully affected. I ask because then I can figure out how to chat about topics before I got into it.

quote:
Originally posted by oldtimer

About 1954 for me.

Wow! Idk where you're from, but just in case. Was the country excited that Geoff Duke came to Australia to inspect land at Phillip Island?

Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10445 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 10 Sep 2018 :  22:01:37  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by journeyman racer

I vaguely remember watching 89 Bathurst and the AGP. Then by 91 I was fully affected. I ask because then I can figure out how to chat about topics before I got into it.

Those were good times, the 89 AGP was always a favourite, I get it out for a re-watch every now and then
Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1656 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 11 Sep 2018 :  20:27:48  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Re-watch it every now and then? Wow!

My next topic of interest is Larry Perkins' F1 career. Could he have made it as a prominent F1 driver? I think he's more of an honest toiler than supremely talented.

A best of 8th at Zolder 76 starting from 20th was a pretty good effort.

Intriguingly, he had an opportunity with Brabham at the end of 76. The team didn't have a good year that year. But were race winners otherwise. I'd say that was a big opportunity for Larry to prove himself, and I suppose he didn't make the most of it to then carry on?

No prominent result produced in those races, 17th Canada, suspension failure in the US, and I suppose withdrawing from Japan due to the torrential rain?

It's in the qualifying though, where he may've let himself down. 19th in Canada, 9 places behind team mate Carlos Pace. 13th in the USA, 3 places behind Pace. Then 17th in Japan, 11 places behind Pace. As harsh as it is, he may've missed his chance with those qualifying results?

I wonder what he makes of it now? I've watched Gordon Murray interviews on YT, and I wonder what he thought of working with Larry?

Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10445 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 14 Sep 2018 :  16:27:39  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Perkins from memory had the distinction of being the last driver to successfully qualify a BRM for a Grand Prix?

quote:
Originally posted by journeyman racer

Re-watch it every now and then? Wow!

Yeah i regularly pull the old F1 races (hell, any old races) from that time and have a watch, the period of 86-93 was my favourite time of F1, so always enjoy watching those races

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2020 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.99 seconds.