V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 International Series
 New Zealand
 End of an era: Western Springs speedway
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Bloopy
V8 Champion

New Zealand
1166 Posts
joined 20 Oct 11

Posted - 08 Jun 2018 :  15:47:18  Show Profile  Visit Bloopy's Homepage Send Bloopy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/auckland-mayor-sign-deal-today-moving-speedway-western-springs-test-cricket-in
quote:
Mayor Phil Goff will sign an agreement with Speedway Promotions director Biill Buckley and Regional Facilities Auckland boss Chris Brooks to end the 90-year motorsport history at Western Springs.

Speedway will move to a purpose built home near the airport at the end of the 2019-20 summer.

A new oval playing field and new stands would be built if cricket made Western Springs its new home.

Under the proposal, the stadium would still host concerts, be the home ground of Ponsonby Rugby Club and would also become the base for Australian Rules Football.

Can't say I've seen any races there but if it was in earshot I'm sure I would've checked it out and appreciated it by now. Sad.

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22476 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 08 Jun 2018 :  15:58:47  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
At least they're getting a new facility and not disappearing altogether.
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17947 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 08 Jun 2018 :  16:29:15  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
ive been watching some racing on youtube from there...nice little bullring, but those kiwis are bloody nuts in those super stock things

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9948 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 08 Jun 2018 :  17:27:56  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ha, ha. Yeah. Similar to those things that run clockwise at Warrnambool and other Western Victoria tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFdW4OQjZL4 Someone was leading, but it doesn't matter.

I've never been to Western Springs, but I've seen some great racing via video, going back to Barry Butterworth and others from the '60s. Looks (looked?) like a great little venue.

Edited by - Zac on 08 Jun 2018 17:32:52
Go to Top of Page

murph_fan51
Team Manager

New Zealand
8186 Posts
joined 13 Dec 02

Posted - 09 Jun 2018 :  13:40:58  Show Profile  Visit murph_fan51's Homepage  Send murph_fan51 a Yahoo! Message Send murph_fan51 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

Ha, ha. Yeah. Similar to those things that run clockwise at Warrnambool and other Western Victoria tracks.

Are you suggesting Western Springs runs clockwise? Im certain it doesn't.
Have been there several times, to watch racing and a festival, but not in the last 5 years.
The spectating is brilliant with the high slopes.
A shame it has to move, the locals have finally got their way eliminating the noise.

Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9948 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 09 Jun 2018 :  15:36:14  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No. I'm suggesting that "those Kiwis are bloody nuts in those things", similar to "those things that run anti-clockwise at Warrnambool and other Western Victorian tracks". Similar in that they're "bloody nuts". I did watch my link and nothing in it suggested to me that they were running in a clockwise direction. These things do, so in that one matter, they are not similar. Quite the opposite. Clears any confusion up, I hope.

Here we go. Bloody nuts, but running in the other direction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdfYs6FTk9k

Edited by - Zac on 09 Jun 2018 16:55:28
Go to Top of Page

djr18fan
Team Manager

New Zealand
1778 Posts
joined 06 Jul 06

Posted - 10 Jun 2018 :  10:43:46  Show Profile Send djr18fan a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne

ive been watching some racing on youtube from there...nice little bullring, but those kiwis are bloody nuts in those super stock things

Super Stocks are the best NZ motor racing category in my opinion.
I've never been to Western Spings speedway, because superstocks don't race there. They race at Waikaraka Park. The other speedway in Auckland.

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17947 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 10 Jun 2018 :  12:59:05  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by djr18fan

quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne

Super Stocks are the best NZ motor racing category in my opinion.
I've never been to Western Spings speedway, because superstocks don't race there. They race at Waikaraka Park. The other speedway in Auckland.

They don't race anywhere else ?

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9948 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 10 Jun 2018 :  13:48:00  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I know very little about them but they seem to race everywhere but Western Springs. I just found out that they weigh 1,400-1,500 kgs, which sounds very heavy to me, and they run V8 engines up to 248 cubic inches, which sounds pretty small. Even the old Holden 4.2/253 would be too big. Do they run Japanese quad-cam 4 litre engines at all?

Whatever and wherever they run, they won't be running at Western Springs after 2019-20, nor will any other category.
Go to Top of Page

djr18fan
Team Manager

New Zealand
1778 Posts
joined 06 Jul 06

Posted - 10 Jun 2018 :  18:47:54  Show Profile Send djr18fan a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

I know very little about them but they seem to race everywhere but Western Springs. I just found out that they weigh 1,400-1,500 kgs, which sounds very heavy to me, and they run V8 engines up to 248 cubic inches, which sounds pretty small. Even the old Holden 4.2/253 would be too big. Do they run Japanese quad-cam 4 litre engines at all?

Whatever and wherever they run, they won't be running at Western Springs after 2019-20, nor will any other category.

Yes they run Toyota and nissan quad can V8's. Also chevs and fords. A few V6's ascwell. The engines are highly modified producing over 500hp from a small capacity. Teams racing is the most popular with fans. Search you tube for Palmerston north superstock teams. Finals races in the major championships are usually action packed as drivers target others to deny them a win or to help others from their home town. Search superstock championship or superstock world 240. It's crazy but addictive!

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Bloopy
V8 Champion

New Zealand
1166 Posts
joined 20 Oct 11

Posted - 11 Jun 2018 :  02:53:51  Show Profile  Visit Bloopy's Homepage Send Bloopy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by djr18fan

Search you tube for Palmerston north superstock teams.

First vid I found is downright hilarious. But then maybe it's for me as I tend to enjoy demolition derby or saloon cars the most. Haven't been to speedways since I was a kid, but still got 2 summers to check out Western Springs so will try and get there and post some photos.

There's also a dirt track on Waiheke Island:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR_9oDq9oqA

edit: I finally made it to the Speedway for opening night this weekend despite temporarily living in Wellington. Despite an article early in the year claiming their lease wasn't even being renewed for the 2019-20 summer, they're still here for now. I'm not sure even they know for how long at this point.

Here's a few of my photos (click for bigger):

Edited by - Bloopy on 03 Nov 2019 17:48:17
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17947 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 03 Nov 2019 :  18:15:16  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ití certainly is picturesque.....infield looks like a bowling green

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

the undertaker
Team Manager

New Zealand
3010 Posts
joined 08 Nov 09

Posted - 03 Nov 2019 :  19:01:48  Show Profile Send the undertaker a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This is purely down to neighbours who bought next to a speedway track then set about complaining about the noise.

Also a ****ing mare who is a disgrace.

They are being moved to a track, yet to be designed, let alone built, out at Manukau which is ****ing miles from the current track!

It's a ****ing disgrace!
Go to Top of Page

Bloopy
V8 Champion

New Zealand
1166 Posts
joined 20 Oct 11

Posted - 03 Nov 2019 :  21:18:13  Show Profile  Visit Bloopy's Homepage Send Bloopy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Someone said to us on the night that the authorities wanted all the noise allocation to be used for more concerts. So I guess it's as much about money as it is about noise.

I wonder whether the mayor was any help in getting them the lease for this summer, or if it's merely a consequence of council decisions and progress being made so slowly.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.55 seconds.