V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CAMS National Racing Series
 General CAMS Series
 TCR coming to Oz in 2019 (including race spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

JD
V8 Champion

1080 Posts
joined 09 Mar 05

Posted - 28 Jun 2018 :  22:25:12  Show Profile  Visit JD's Homepage Send JD a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could be interesting times ahead with TCR to be in Oz from 2019.

Given the many manufacturers involved in TCR with cars readily available will this take off.

If it does I can see some manufacturers being more interested than in Supercars so there could be interesting times ahead.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/06/28/tcr-australia-promoters-revealed-ahead-of-2019-launch/

Edited by - Sonic on 09 Jun 2019 18:47:15

bigem
A polar bear

Australia
16085 Posts
joined 22 Jun 04

Posted - 28 Jun 2018 :  22:52:21  Show Profile Send bigem a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
CarAdvice had an article today about TCR. On the same cars as Supercars? I think they could be a good thing with manufacturer support, and very relevant to our market now.

New Commodore Hey! So you used your own money? Would you like to buy a used bridge?
Go to Top of Page

touring fan
Fujitsu Driver

724 Posts
joined 05 Nov 05

Posted - 29 Jun 2018 :  07:14:29  Show Profile Send touring fan a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I don’t think many people realise that it’s a customer racing program. The manufacturers are only making the cars and selling it to customers. That’s why there is no ‘manufacturers championship’ within any TCR series. It’s purely customer racing with no manufacturer teams or manufacturers championship,
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11238 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 29 Jun 2018 :  14:36:52  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I know its customer based, but in an ideal world, you'd use this as the basis of Gen3 Supercar and kind of run it like IMSA DPi/P2.
Go to Top of Page

Madaz
Team Manager

Australia
5056 Posts
joined 21 Mar 07

Posted - 29 Jun 2018 :  21:38:25  Show Profile Send Madaz a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've been watching some TCR races on youtube recently and it looks like a pretty good series, very competitive and lots of different car brands.

I think it's called the World Touring Car Cup now.

2018 Fantasy League Overall Champion
2017 Fantasy League Tournament Champion

Edited by - Madaz on 29 Jun 2018 21:41:17
Go to Top of Page

oldtimer
Team Manager

4287 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 30 Jun 2018 :  10:31:06  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Madaz

I've been watching some TCR races on youtube recently and it looks like a pretty good series, very competitive and lots of different car brands.

I think it's called the World Touring Car Cup now.

I think that the WTCC has now adopted the TCR rules and both series run seperately, as well as TCR series in a number of countries.

If successful we can kiss goodbye to manufacturers with already developed TCR cars being interested in any other category in Australia. (see note 1). There should be a lot of one and two year old TCR cars readily available for import. Audi have one here already.

We could see the 1973 scenario again whereby a subordinate class becomes so popular that CAMS transfer the ATCC to that class.

Note 1. excepting Toyota which already has a excellent one make class for Toyota badged Subarus.
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10396 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 01 Jul 2018 :  17:47:07  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by touring fan

I don’t think many people realise that it’s a customer racing program. The manufacturers are only making the cars and selling it to customers. That’s why there is no ‘manufacturers championship’ within any TCR series. It’s purely customer racing with no manufacturer teams or manufacturers championship,

No different to GT3, and not any different to the ideal intentions of the Supercars Series.
Go to Top of Page

oldtimer
Team Manager

4287 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 01 Jul 2018 :  20:42:08  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fast by Ferracci

quote:
Originally posted by touring fan

No different to GT3, and not any different to the ideal intentions of the Supercars Series.

Here is an article explaining TCR.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/07/01/feature-tcr-touring-car-platform-explained/

And you are right. It is GT# inspired.

quote:
The Italian created the TCR set of regulations with the aim of producing a cost effective touring car class while still involving manufacturers.

Lotti tapped into the successful GT3 racing model that has attracted multiple manufacturers to create cars to be sold to customers and raced all over the world.

The TCR formula is based around production-based turbo-charged two litre, four cylinder, front wheel drive hatchbacks and sedans.

quote:
TCR Regulations

Eligible cars: 4/5-door vehicles

Body shell: Reinforced production body shell; wheel arch modifications allowed to accommodate tyres

Minimum weight: 1250kg for cars with production gearbox, 1285kg for cars with racing gearbox (both including the driver)

Minimum overall length: 4.20 metres

Maximum overall width: 1.95 metres

Engine: Turbo-charged petrol or diesel up to 2.0-litre
Torque: 420Nm
Power: 260kW
Lubrication: Wet sump
Exhaust: Homologated catalytic converter using production parts

Traction: On two wheels

Gearbox: Production or TCR International Series sequential; production paddle shift accepted

Front Suspension: Production lay-out; parts free design

Rear Suspension: Original design of production car with reinforced components

Brakes:
Front: maximum 6 piston calipers, brake discs maximum diameter 380mm
Rear: maximum 2 piston callipers; production ABS accepted

Wheels: Maximum dimensions of rim: 10#8243; x 18#8243;
Go to Top of Page

STP01
Team Manager

1524 Posts
joined 15 Mar 07

Posted - 20 Nov 2018 :  22:01:28  Show Profile Send STP01 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Drivers seem to like them - https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/11/20/supercars-drivers-impressed-after-tcr-tests/

If it means lots of cars and lower costs, I think it could be a good thing.

Congratulations Jamie Whincup on 7 Championships!
Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1619 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 21 Nov 2018 :  20:09:30  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by oldtimer

We could see the 1973 scenario again whereby a subordinate class becomes so popular that CAMS transfer the ATCC to that class.

That's what happened in the BTCC, and what is supposed to happen in motorsport everywhere!

No1 fan of James Courtney's ex-wife!
Go to Top of Page

troy01505
Team Manager

Australia
2954 Posts
joined 25 Feb 08

Posted - 21 Nov 2018 :  20:29:17  Show Profile Send troy01505 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by journeyman racer

quote:

That's what happened in the BTCC, and what is supposed to happen in motorsport everywhere!

I am all for TCR coming here and having a crack, hopefully it turns out as good as predicted, I am also hoping for some endurance events which combine our elite drivers from all the different categories around the country with 3 drivers which must be from 3 different categories for an endurance cup type series.

What I dont want though is our main series being identical to every other country, I like the uniqueness of Supercars and strongly believe that this can continue to be at the top beyond the falcon and opel with a few regulation changes.

If TCR doe saw happen to take over then you will not see me bitching about it as there are still so many categories run in Australia that their will still be something to watch
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11238 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 22 Nov 2018 :  10:40:11  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
There will be two TCR series next year. The official, genuine CAMS one, and one run by Rod Salmon and AASA. You could run in both to get max use of your new toy and gain more experience in driving a TCR car. Or can you?

Competitors who purchase a TCR car will only be able to compete in sanctioned events without jeopardising the ongoing homologation of their car.
The Matt Braid led TCR Australia series currently holds the exclusive rights to the TCR name and intellectual property in Australia, having cut a deal with both CAMS and TCR Global.
It means those who choose to compete in the Rod Salmon driven Production Race Cars series, run under the AASA banner, would be unable to campaign in the CAMS series.
“TCR is a very heavily regulated series. Unless it is an endorsed TCR category you can’t run in it,” explained Braid when asked by Speedcafe.com about the threat posed by Production Race Cars.
“So, if there was a deal done with TCR and the Bathurst 12 Hour to have a class in it, then yes. But outside of that you won’t be allowed to run.”
“The TCR regulations are the IP of TCR Global, so all manufactures homologate the cars to those regulations,” he added.
“Each car has to have a homologation certificate from TCR Global which has conditions on it.
“Therefore once it strays outside of TCR it’s not longer an effectively-homologated TCR car.”
Initially that restriction would limit the cars to the category’s six championship events in Australia though could expand on the back of future deals for specific events such as the Bathurst 12 Hour.
Neither Braid nor CAMS can prevent a car being campaigned elsewhere doing so would make the car ineligible for competition in officially sanctioned ‘TCR’ events.
“We’re just going to get on what we’re going to do, I don’t really care what CAMS are going to do,” Salmon told Speedcafe.com.
“It’s a bit unfortunate, isn’t it? A potential TCR car owner is now being told, just like GT3 was last year, that you’re going to be tied to one series. You can’t go and run in anything else.
“If they run a state round are you going to get your homologation documents torn up? That’s pretty much what they’re saying, isn’t it?
“It sort of guarantees that people that buy our cars won’t ever run in the CAMS series,” he continued.
“If that’s what they want, that’s what they want. It might have been useful to have a few more cars on the grid, but they don’t want to do that, that’s fine.”
Rather than being rivals, Salmon believes the two series could happily co-exist and even bolster each other by providing owners increased opportunity to compete.
“I was just running a race series, I don’t consider it a rival. I just go, ‘they’re great cars, let’s go run them’,” he said.
“I’m not trying to steal TCR, I’m just going okay, here’s another opportunity, an alternate category with an alternate sanctioning body for the motorsport owning and driving competitor and public.
“I don’t see a big problem with it. I don’t really see it as a dilution. If they’ve got 20 cars, fantastic. I’ll be going along, I’ll be watching on tele, well, if it’s on tele.
“One will ultimately be more competitive and stronger I suppose, I don’t care if that’s us or not.”

https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/11/22/tcr-cars-cant-run-unendorsed-events/?fbclid=IwAR1gKBErbCXR6oPJNrbzBVf8IsIzU6RVOQ5z7Nf7UucwV5hW1iwfLV6yA1g

Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17271 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 22 Nov 2018 :  13:01:11  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
cams being cams and doing their best to destroy Australian Motor Sport

really disappointed but can't say I am surprised at this

Go to Top of Page

oldtimer
Team Manager

4287 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 22 Nov 2018 :  13:09:05  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sonic

I can't see this issue having anything to do with actions by CAMS.

It is a category imposed regulation, not unlike conditions imposed on Supercars.
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17271 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 23 Nov 2018 :  08:38:27  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

It is a category imposed regulation, not unlike conditions imposed on Supercars.

the way I read it was that if you don't run in the CAMS series you and your car can get stuffed...

perhaps it is a TCR thing but it is not right...

how would you feel if you were told "congratulations sir on purchasing your new car... enjoy driving it on our Victorian roads... oh and if you drive into NSW we will tear up your ownership papers and not let you drive it in Vic again..."??

Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1619 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 01 Dec 2018 :  13:12:19  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

quote:

the way I read it was that if you don't run in the CAMS series you and your car can get stuffed...

perhaps it is a TCR thing but it is not right...

how would you feel if you were told "congratulations sir on purchasing your new car... enjoy driving it on our Victorian roads... oh and if you drive into NSW we will tear up your ownership papers and not let you drive it in Vic again..."??

Initially, I would agree with you. But this is different. Even though TCR isn't allowed to have manufacturer support, it's meant to be a high level, semi professional class, like what Touring car racing with manufacturer support is. Being able to run in AASA series leaves it open for costs to increase.

This isn't an amateur class like sports sedans or improved production. Where you can go here, there and everywhere to increase you knowledge and experience. It doesn't look like TCR would stop you running the same car in another series, as long it's another TCR designated series. Australia and SE Asia for instance?

No1 fan of James Courtney's ex-wife!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.17 seconds.