No banner in farm
V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CAMS National Racing Series
 General CAMS Series
 TCR coming to Oz in 2019 (including race spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Sonic

Australia
17342 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 23 May 2019 :  15:37:52  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Couldn't crossover staff on a race weekend... they are already flat out doing 1 job.

and they may link up though it makes no sense being on a series bill that will take your track time away from you because there is a leaf on the track...

Go to Top of Page

falcon_cobra
Kiss Fanatic

Australia
8870 Posts
joined 02 Dec 04

Posted - 23 May 2019 :  16:06:34  Show Profile  Click to see falcon_cobra's MSN Messenger address Send falcon_cobra a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/05/23/cams-tcr-aus-eyeing-bathurst-wtcr-event/

yes make it happen

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1681 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 23 May 2019 :  21:19:24  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by falcon_cobra

it would make sense to be on the same bill, that way the teams that are doing both wouldn't have to be in 2 places at the same time, not as many staff required, and the teams that are not in it could get a few cars as well, then scrap Super2 and use TCR as the feeder class,

It'd make no sense.

Supercars (for whatever popularity it has) also puts a lot of people off. TCR in a supercars bill is just going to diminish the potential it has. People who would go to see TCR won't, and those already there are going to diminish it (Like you already have).

TCR is capable of being a feature class. If anything, it already is.

quote:
Originally posted by Fast by Ferracci

That was created because ST didn't want to be in V8s shadow, TCR Australia has openly stated it wanted to be a support race for V8s

When?

No1 fan of James Courtney's ex-wife!

Edited by - journeyman racer on 23 May 2019 21:20:32
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10471 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 23 May 2019 :  23:23:52  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by journeyman racer

quote:

That was created because ST didn't want to be in V8s shadow, TCR Australia has openly stated it wanted to be a support race for V8s

When?

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/motorsport-go-for-2-0-litre-tourers-but-not-with-supercars-115461/
quote:

While ARG and the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS) have been at pains to project the new category as no potential threat to the dominance of Supercars on the national motorsport scene, the initial announcement of TCR coming to Australia three months ago said that it “is intended as a strong support category to Supercars at a number of major national events”.

“While both the TCR Series and Supercars are ‘touring car’ categories, the vehicle specs and racing styles are completely different,” it said.

“We see that TCR potentially has appeal to a younger, differentiated demographic, which complements and would fit well with Supercars from a support perspective.”

https://autoaction.com.au/2018/11/05/tcr-2019-series-dates-announced-tcr-and-s5000-not-aligning-with-supercars
quote:
ARG director Matt Braid had sounded out Supercars on running TCR Australia and S5000 rounds at selected Supercars-run events.

No agreement could be reached and the TCR Australia series has been aligned with the CAMS-run Shannons Nationals.

On a different tangent, some interesting quotes from Garry Rogers and Todd Kelly from when TCR Australia was initially announced last year

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/motorsport-no-thanks-to-tcr-113402/
quote:
Even GRM, despite its close connection with Boyd and McMellan and a history of racing various categories, said it was not interested in contesting TCR.

“Is it something we would strongly consider? I would say no,” said team co-owner Barry Rogers.

“As sheer entertainment I can’t see how it’s going to kick off in Australia.

“Look, you never know, things change, but right now I don’t think so.”

Todd Kelly, the co-owner of Kelly racing, the team which loses its factory Nissan status at the end of 2018, also was dismissive of TCR.

“I am not interested in that,” Kelly said. “It’s not really a good fit with what we are. I can’t see how that would be a benefit to us at the moment.

“When you have a look at what Australia is I would be putting my money into the ute series and trying to get that right. A lot of our sponsors have fleets and they are not driving around in 2.0-litre cars, they are driving around in utes,” Kelly added.

“It’s a stepping stone for sponsors to go onto a ute, then a Super2 car and then a Supercar. How does a 2.0-litre car fit? It doesn’t work in my mind,” he said.

Wonder what changed their minds??
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17342 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 24 May 2019 :  17:41:36  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

race fans want to see it... so that means more opportuntity to get money from sponsors...

perhaps if it works out good on price one category may help pay for the other?

Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
7281 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 24 May 2019 :  18:23:45  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sonic

quote:

race fans want to see it... so that means more opportuntity to get money from sponsors...

I'd say you're on the money there Sonic... with money.

"Ford’s Bathurst winning bonus didn’t even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977
Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1681 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 24 May 2019 :  22:50:36  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I misread your original quote. I was thinking they wanted to be a fulltime support, but it was only one-offs.

quote:

quote:
Even GRM, despite its close connection with Boyd and McMellan and a history of racing various categories, said it was not interested in contesting TCR.

“Is it something we would strongly consider? I would say no,” said team co-owner Barry Rogers.

Todd Kelly, the co-owner of Kelly racing, the team which loses its factory Nissan status at the end of 2018, also was dismissive of TCR.

“I am not interested in that,” Kelly said. “It’s not really a good fit with what we are. I can’t see how that would be a benefit to us at the moment.

“When you have a look at what Australia is I would be putting my money into the ute series and trying to get that right. A lot of our sponsors have fleets and they are not driving around in 2.0-litre cars, they are driving around in utes,” Kelly added.

“It’s a stepping stone for sponsors to go onto a ute, then a Super2 car and then a Supercar. How does a 2.0-litre car fit? It doesn’t work in my mind,” he said.

Reality?

Man, that quote from those bums really grinds my gears. Two flogs living off the success of their dads.

How does a 2 lite cars fit?

Well, 2ltr fwd cars make up the largest amount of cars on Australian roads. Dare I say, if you collected every racing car on earth, 2ltr engine car would make up the most numbers.

I wish them every failure.

Go to Top of Page

falcon_cobra
Kiss Fanatic

Australia
8870 Posts
joined 02 Dec 04

Posted - 26 May 2019 :  07:08:52  Show Profile  Click to see falcon_cobra's MSN Messenger address Send falcon_cobra a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think I read somewhere that there would only be up to 5 of each car on the grid, is that right?

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
7281 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 26 May 2019 :  15:35:35  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by journeyman racer

I misread your original quote. I was thinking they wanted to be a fulltime support, but it was only one-offs.

quote:

quote:

Reality?

Man, that quote from those bums really grinds my gears. Two flogs living off the success of their dads.

How does a 2 lite cars fit?

Well, 2ltr fwd cars make up the largest amount of cars on Australian roads. Dare I say, if you collected every racing car on earth, 2ltr engine car would make up the most numbers.

I wish them every failure.

You wish them every failure for a single comment? Is there any room left on your voodoo doll? A bit drastic.

"Ford’s Bathurst winning bonus didn’t even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977
Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1681 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 26 May 2019 :  20:59:42  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's not a single comment. Those quotes are a reflection of a smug, out of touch attitude.

In the case of Barry Rogers, does he not know his dad's team ran 2ltr cars in the 90s?

Considering GRM has participated in many classes over the years. His dismissive attitude on any class, let alone TCR, is bizarre.

The reference of "sheer entertainment". Wtf does that mean? It's just a dumb opinion of a guy who isn't in the entertainment industry, as though he is in the entertainment industry.

Speaking of out of touch, Here's Todd Kelly's statement.

quote:

First of all. The reputation of him, his brother, and their team is so low. That they're not really in a position to be dismissive and not interested in any other class.

TCR doesn't fit with them, not because they're above TCR/2litre cars. But because TCR aren't a bunch of desperate country bumpkins who have nfi of they're doing.

You think Kelly, an Anglo-Australian, living in the country, is a true blue, dinky di Aussie in touch with what Australia is?

No, he's just an out of touch *******.

You want to know what Australia is? 2ltr cars an SUVs. It's obviously inappropriate to have a ute as race car, but 2ltr cars are all over Australia, and a section of the motoring industry that's been neglected for 20 years

A 2ltr car doesn't work in his mind? He's just an airhead. There are 2lt cars all over Australia. No wonder rural areas get ignored if they're made up of delusion chumps like him.

Putting money in a ute series? lololololol

I'll tell you where else he's out of touch?

In this decade, what has become one of the biggest supported and fastest growing series in the country?

1.5ltr Hyundais.

The clown has no idea. The sooner he and his family get out of motorsport, the better Aus motorsport will be.

Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
7281 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 26 May 2019 :  23:18:22  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I see what you're saying, and your comments on the relevance of the series are fair... but to drill someone like you have?
They can do what they want with their money. Also, welcome to capitalist society and motorsport in the 21st century, rich daddies compulsory.

Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17342 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 27 May 2019 :  09:26:49  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by falcon_cobra

I think I read somewhere that there would only be up to 5 of each car on the grid, is that right?

yup. 5 per car... which is kinda weird when teams tend to go for 2 of... why wouldn't you make it 4 or 6?

Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10471 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 27 May 2019 :  13:36:22  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

I was thinking more along the lines of perhaps someone else bought the cars for them to entice them to enter....
Go to Top of Page

oldtimer
Team Manager

4501 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 27 May 2019 :  15:06:00  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

quote:

I was thinking more along the lines of perhaps someone else bought the cars for them to entice them to enter....

Commercial Racing Businesses will support whatever classes their customers want to support financially with personal money, driver's family money or sponsors money, with the proviso that there are enough excess dollars for the business to make a nice profit.
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10471 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 30 May 2019 :  06:03:01  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by oldtimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Commercial Racing Businesses will support whatever classes their customers want to support financially with personal money, driver's family money or sponsors money, with the proviso that there are enough excess dollars for the business to make a nice profit.

Do the series organisers count as customers?

It was reported that one of the series owners bought the Renaults and gave them to GRM for them to run.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2020 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.25 seconds.