V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CAMS National Racing Series
 General CAMS Series
 TCR coming to Oz in 2019 (including race spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

TheArrow
formerly known as Spree

Australia
6417 Posts
joined 14 Jan 08

Posted - 25 Jan 2019 :  13:58:06  Show Profile Send TheArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Could we see some international TCR drivers pop down for a visit? Even for some one-off drives to up the numbers for a round or two.

Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17272 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 25 Jan 2019 :  18:00:21  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
would still need to have the cars here to do that Arrow...

can't see them bringing a car half way around the world for one crappy weekend with 10 cars to play with...

Go to Top of Page

Madaz
Team Manager

Australia
5056 Posts
joined 21 Mar 07

Posted - 25 Jan 2019 :  20:24:48  Show Profile Send Madaz a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

The cars look great.

https://www.tcraustralia.com/cars/

But I think it would have been better for the Australian series if we had Mazda, Ford and Toyota instead of Lada, Seat and Cupra.

2018 Fantasy League Overall Champion
2017 Fantasy League Tournament Champion
Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1623 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 26 Jan 2019 :  19:52:56  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by skaifeman

If TCR were smart (I'm no marketing manager, or accountant), they should offer Tander a minimal wage and put him in a car. Hell, even Lowndes! People would watch that!
No date clashes with Supercars events.

Disagree. Ideally, there'd be no theatregoers for this series who need "big names" to entice them to watch.

It's best for this series to be a slow burn. ANybody who's watches is genuinely interested in watching the racing, not to so how "Lowndesy" or "GT" go.

quote:
Originally posted by Fast by Ferracci

If they were smart they'd have done a few things differently, in my opinion

I'm intrigued as to what you're opinion is?

No1 fan of James Courtney's ex-wife!
Go to Top of Page

oldtimer
Team Manager

4303 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 26 Jan 2019 :  20:15:50  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by skaifeman

If TCR were smart (I'm no marketing manager, or accountant), they should offer Tander a minimal wage and put him in a car. Hell, even Lowndes! People would watch that!
No date clashes with Supercars events.

While Tander would be a good selection, why would he even consider a "minimal" wage?

Now that the Australian GT series is blocking Supercar drivers and Supercar 2 and Supercar Enduro drivers, we may see some teams helping their enduro drivers into TCR to remain race-fit.

Conversely, it is in Supercar Team owners interest to block their high profile drivers from competing in TCR.

Drivers are more likely to come from lesser categories stepping up and trying to make a name for themselves. Those old enough to remember 1972 will recall that Series Production generated a lot of star drivers that then progressed to ATCC stars when the rules changed in 1973.

Grant Denyer may be a good choice and he is a household name unlike Tander.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/01/25/australian-gt-rules-out-pro-drivers-from-sprint-events/

Just an opinion but if TCR is successful, then CAMS should look at giving it ATCC status rather than an international series such as Supercars.

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie seeing it's Australia Day.
Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
10654 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 27 Jan 2019 :  00:47:37  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
May not be a popular opinion, but perhaps TCR should be Super3, not old Super2 cars. Something different for the fans at the track, and the drivers effectively work up to Super2 then Supercars. Being on the Supercars card gives more opportunities for fans to see them without being die hards that go to the Shannons Nationals and other events, and gives sponsors more exposure, even if it is on Foxtel. Of course FTA would be better for sponsors.

_Mford

"This whole thing is just a media beat up and you V8 Supercar fans( another name for suckers, bogans, lowlifes etc ) have taken the bait hook line and sinker." - Champcarman
Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1623 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 27 Jan 2019 :  11:26:50  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, that is an unpopular opinion.

Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11244 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 27 Jan 2019 :  11:44:14  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yesterdays TCR Middle East round had a three car entry. All three cars finished.
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10404 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 28 Jan 2019 :  00:41:58  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by journeyman racer

I'm intrigued as to what you're opinion is?

The TCR organisers seem to think they can pull together a full field of professionally run TCR cars from nowhere.

TCR shoul dhave been introduced into Australia in conjunction with cars from already existing categories and allow a few years for the formula to build.

They seem like they don't want to build the formula up, they just want instant grids and instant professionalism.

WHen you only have 6 events scheduled for your first year, i'm not sure you'll find too many wanting to compete under those circumstances, especially as they have banned their cars from competing anywhere else

quote:
Originally posted by DJRford

May not be a popular opinion, but perhaps TCR should be Super3, not old Super2 cars. Something different for the fans at the track, and the drivers effectively work up to Super2 then Supercars. Being on the Supercars card gives more opportunities for fans to see them without being die hards that go to the Shannons Nationals and other events, and gives sponsors more exposure, even if it is on Foxtel. Of course FTA would be better for sponsors.

Australian motor racing gains nothing by have TCR having any affiliation with Supercars, letalone calling themselves "Super3"
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17272 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 28 Jan 2019 :  14:41:02  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
@FbF... why would CAMS want TCR to succeed when it is quite obvious that THEIR F4 category is the way to go... ***cough***

Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1623 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 28 Jan 2019 :  19:55:36  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

TCR shoul dhave been introduced into Australia in conjunction with cars from already existing categories and allow a few years for the formula to build.

Like the early 2000s btcc?

I'm not sure I'd agree atm. COnsidering that I expect this class to more or less carry on from super touring, I'm ok with it having small numbers for the first year or so..

Which class would you let run with them?

Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
7102 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 29 Jan 2019 :  11:46:09  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sonic

@FbF... why would CAMS want TCR to succeed when it is quite obvious that THEIR F4 category is the way to go... ***cough***

TCR is certainly giving it more of a shake than the budget draining F4.
I'd say the Australian motorsport landscape will always be skewed towards tin top racing.

Brighty now interested too:
http://v8sleuth.com.au/news/2019/01/29/supercars-veteran-chasing-multi-car-tcr-deal

"Fordís Bathurst winning bonus didnít even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977
Go to Top of Page

TheArrow
formerly known as Spree

Australia
6417 Posts
joined 14 Jan 08

Posted - 29 Jan 2019 :  12:22:20  Show Profile Send TheArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I do wonder what it is about Australian motorsport fans that makes them feel the need to criticise everything.

Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17272 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 29 Jan 2019 :  16:33:20  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
having seen one of the cars down at Phillip Island on track and one on display... 200k is just more wasted money...

you can have so much more fun on track for a heck of a lot less money!

Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10404 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 29 Jan 2019 :  19:59:49  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by journeyman racer

quote:

Like the early 2000s btcc?

I'm not sure I'd agree atm. COnsidering that I expect this class to more or less carry on from super touring, I'm ok with it having small numbers for the first year or so..

Which class would you let run with them?

It depends what you class as small numbers? You should never present a new class with anything less than 12-14 cars in a race on their own.

I'd combine them with the Production Cars to start with. Super Touring was propped up by old Group A cars in it's early days, so were V8Supercars

If the class has low numbers for it's first race, it will never go anywhere
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3.05 seconds.