V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Australian
 Other Open Wheelers
 S5000 debut ## caution, possible spoilers##
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Jam3s
Team Manager

2805 Posts
joined 02 Mar 13

Posted - 07 Aug 2019 :  18:59:38  Show Profile Send Jam3s a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by oldtimer

The car tested at Ipswich, had a lot of front wing shake.

Surely that needs to be strengthened.

It is, it was part of ongoing mods being tested and the next phase will solve that problem.

They also plan to run quite a few cars simultaneously at the Winton TCR round.
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17271 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 07 Aug 2019 :  19:39:58  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

The car tested at Ipswich, had a lot of front wing shake.

Surely that needs to be strengthened.

when I spoke with them at PI they were trying out all different stuff all weekend...

the development game doesn't stop.

Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
7094 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 16 Aug 2019 :  12:17:50  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rubens to be there for Sandown!
https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsport/formula-one/formula-1-legend-rubens-barrichello-to-make-open-wheel-return-in-new-s5000-class-at-sandown/news-story/6d457dc94a1d751b8aec652c346f4cf7?fbclid=IwAR3nkhxpA7yzgvOl1R0X_xjglJL3TEpuFTGYwa8TEbWHueB_Uw860KwRgS8

Sounds like a good weekend. TCR, S5000, Aus GT and Porsche Cup.

"Fordís Bathurst winning bonus didnít even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977
Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
10648 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 17 Aug 2019 :  11:25:50  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Seriously cool to have Barrichello there.

_Mford

"This whole thing is just a media beat up and you V8 Supercar fans( another name for suckers, bogans, lowlifes etc ) have taken the bait hook line and sinker." - Champcarman
Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1619 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 21 Sep 2019 :  23:17:17  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I was watching the coverage of it today. It was ok. The engine noise is overrated. Whether it's here or on other forums, I do note with some deprecation at how easily satisfied other fans are with these cars. They're happy with these, but F1 is crap for instance?

I found out in the coverage today that these cars have 550hp, and are 900kg! That is ordinary for a bigger openwheeler. The weight will contribute to a lack of thrill that is normally associated with these type of cars. But people will readily accept these. I'm not sure what people think they're looking at sometimes?

It's a slower IRL car.

Speaking of IRL. Watching the coverage, they made such a big deal about history being made and there was dramatic music accompanying it, you'd have thought it was a pre-IRL Indy 500. But it was just a qualifying race.

No1 fan of James Courtney's ex-wife!

Edited by - journeyman racer on 21 Sep 2019 23:20:49
Go to Top of Page

oldtimer
Team Manager

4285 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 22 Sep 2019 :  00:17:17  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
900kg sounds lot for an open wheeler.

My first racer, an EH Holden, weighed 1000kg, before weight reduction.

Suely I took out more than 100kg by removing seats, steel bumpers etc, but then I wasn't paying with 560hp.
Go to Top of Page

Jam3s
Team Manager

2805 Posts
joined 02 Mar 13

Posted - 22 Sep 2019 :  06:25:41  Show Profile Send Jam3s a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thought the first race was enjoyable, they sound great IMO (see how this is my opinion and I didn't tout it as a fact or dismiss the opinions of others) and the cars can race nice and closely as well. The downside of having little downforce is the slipstream effect is lessened, perhaps a push to pass can be implemented at some stage.

Power to weight wise I see no issue, the drivers are all on about dealing with the high power and none seem to wish it had more, it would be too big of a handful. The cars look to lie in a sweet spot for their drive-ability. Take a step back from the data sheets and look at what the drivers are saying and how the cars are acting on the track.

Edited by - Jam3s on 22 Sep 2019 06:33:30
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11238 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 22 Sep 2019 :  09:59:02  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by journeyman racer

I was watching the coverage of it today. It was ok. The engine noise is overrated. Whether it's here or on other forums, I do note with some deprecation at how easily satisfied other fans are with these cars. They're happy with these, but F1 is crap for instance?

Outside of the Australian Grand Prix, I can't really get into Formula One as it doesn't really do anything for me.

Indycar does though, and I'm looking forward to see who gets into S5000 over time.
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9948 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 22 Sep 2019 :  14:57:46  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Suely I took out more than 100kg by removing seats, steel bumpers etc, but then I wasn't paying with 560hp.

S5000s from what I can ascertain, weigh "less than 850kgs", but I haven't seen a precise list of specifications to know how much less - or whether that weight is 'wet' or 'dry', or if it is a minimum 'wet' weight including driver. Can anyone else throw any light on this?

Oldtimer, your EH Holden must have had a decent weight reduction before you reduced weight. The GM-H listed weight for an EH Special 179 manual sedan is 1120kgs dry. The CAMS minimum weight limit for EHs racing in 'Nb' is also 1120kgs dry. That makes it a 1200kg+ car, so I can't see any comparison to an S5000 - and let's ignore the difference in power.
Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1619 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 22 Sep 2019 :  21:16:21  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CP

quote:

Outside of the Australian Grand Prix, I can't really get into Formula One as it doesn't really do anything for me.

Indycar does though, and I'm looking forward to see who gets into S5000 over time.

I meant 90s IRL.

I've been ot the GP. I'm astonished if people think a 5ltr V8, of any kind, is actually a bigger thrill to the sense as a current F1 car.

The F1 cars are louder nd more menacing.

Go to Top of Page

oldtimer
Team Manager

4285 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 22 Sep 2019 :  23:07:41  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

quote:

S5000s from what I can ascertain, weigh "less than 850kgs", but I haven't seen a precise list of specifications to know how much less - or whether that weight is 'wet' or 'dry', or if it is a minimum 'wet' weight including driver. Can anyone else throw any light on this?

Oldtimer, your EH Holden must have had a decent weight reduction before you reduced weight. The GM-H listed weight for an EH Special 179 manual sedan is 1120kgs dry. The CAMS minimum weight limit for EHs racing in 'Nb' is also 1120kgs dry. That makes it a 1200kg+ car, so I can't see any comparison to an S5000 - and let's ignore the difference in power.

I was only pointing out that the 900kg claimed was very heavy for an open wheeler.

(PS: A 1965 EH 179 sedan, in D/Stock without a roll bar, with spare tyre, boot floor mat and tools removed and , but with twin carbs and extractor exhaust, weighed in at 2240 pounds on the scales at Surfers Dragway. That's 1016kg. Then later lightened and turned in an E/Gas car in 1968.)
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9948 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 23 Sep 2019 :  07:27:16  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I found what I was looking for:
https://www.cams.com.au/docs/default-source/sporting-technical/national/2019-s5000-australia-sporting-and-technical-regulations---version-1.pdf?sfvrsn=6133b490_2

Regulation T4: S5000 minimum weight wet is 845kgs. Minimum weight wet, including driver with all racing apparel is 925kgs. Not particularly light, but it is a very healthy 'power to weight' ratio - and from what we've seen with Davison's car at Sandown, a very strong chassis.

I don't know about comparing S5000s to EH Holdens, and this is equally irrelevant, but here's the figures for a 410 Sprintcar: Minimum weight wet, including driver and racing apparel is 659kgs, which equates to approx 580kgs car only, compared to S5000s at 845kgs. 410 Sprintcars don't have a mandated power limit. Most are 850bhp+, with some now up to 950bhp.

Edited by - Zac on 23 Sep 2019 08:26:07
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17271 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 23 Sep 2019 :  08:38:35  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by CP

quote:

I meant 90s IRL.

I've been ot the GP. I'm astonished if people think a 5ltr V8, of any kind, is actually a bigger thrill to the sense as a current F1 car.

umm... nope... was at the F1 this year and then trackside this weekend...

the S5000 cars are a fair bit louder and they sound better than the current crop of F1 cars.

I think the 'thrill' side of it is more that the field stayed together well and the racing was hard fought rather than splitting apart and having a bunch of cars rumbling around on their own.

Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17271 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 23 Sep 2019 :  08:41:24  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
that crash was big! I was at t2 at the time and saw the car turn left into the fence...

biggest relief when I was taking photos of him getting out of the car unassisted :)

Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1619 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 23 Sep 2019 :  14:23:03  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sonic

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by CP

quote:

I meant 90s IRL.

umm... nope... was at the F1 this year and then trackside this weekend...

the S5000 cars are a fair bit louder and they sound better than the current crop of F1 cars.

I stand 50m before the braking for t3 at Albert Park (and have been anywhere from t9-13 less frequently). The F1 cars are louder (even if it's not a lot) and more menacing than supercars.

I'll check my original comment about being louder than a 5lt V8 of any kind, to being louder than a supercar. S5000 are loud, but overrated. Instead of being loud to reflect the driving at the particular point of the track, they're just loud for the sake of it.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4  Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.99 seconds.