No banner in farm
V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 V8Supercars Australia
 V8Supercar Series
 bloody pathetic
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1681 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 05 Feb 2020 :  21:46:25  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by ignition

you are NOT entitled to watch it for free. you were lucky to be able to do that previously.

lol Look at this half arsed authoritarian??? haha

quote:
Originally posted by littledozer

Yet the ABC forcibly removes 1.3 billion from taxpayers and last showed either the Sandown 500 in 82 or 83. Yet they show all sorts of crap nobody watches.
DO you understand the point of the ABC?

quote:

Back in the day the only race Ch 7 showed was Bathurst, they only ever wanted the jewel in the crown.

Wasn't until the mid/late 80s they started showing other races (to protect bathurst rights) and they certainly didn't pay to do that. In Victoria always a highlights package late at night mostly until ch 10 took over in what 97.
Channel 7 bought Bathurst. It wasn't a highlights package til 96. It was otherwise delayed coverage in Melbourne. This is understandable with footy being on a sunday afternoon, and it was easier to avoid the results back then.

edit; With Mike Raymond being a bigwig at C7 Sydney, broadcasting the ATCC was a progression of hosting Bathurst.

quote:

Only really the Cochrane era did the coverage get good and payed for rather than Ch 7 leeching off the series.
Depressing that the Aus motorsport community is full of Cochrane lemmings. The coverage was initially similar to C7. C10 had the benefit of not having AFL footy to broadcast. They eventually weened off the support classes.

Watching the ratings last year the early races all rated at the the top of the Foxtel ratings which is some sort of sign the series is not down yet.

quote:

and i might add that as soon as Ch 7 had the opportunity to screw the series again it did so and literally forced it to do a deal with Foxtel, commercial pressures aligned where they could low ball the series and they did.

At the time Ch 9/10 had zero money to bid for the rights as they were heavily leveraged and Ch 7 who had the rights and solvent made it clear they wanted the series for next to no payment.

The supercars fanboys never acknowledge that the previous tv deal was a disaster for C7. The price was way overblown. Supercars is a 4 wheel A-League. But people like ol' mate littledozer think it's up there with the AFL/NRL.

No1 fan of James Courtney's ex-wife!

Edited by - journeyman racer on 05 Feb 2020 21:53:40
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5957 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 06 Feb 2020 :  06:07:55  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by journeyman racer

Supercars is a 4 wheel A-League. But people like ol' mate littledozer think it's up there with the AFL/NRL.

hahahahaha, spot on

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

Wrighty05
Last of the Big Bangers

Tonga
7381 Posts
joined 25 Aug 03

Posted - 06 Feb 2020 :  10:04:19  Show Profile  Click to see Wrighty05's MSN Messenger address Send Wrighty05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Agree with the A-league comparison except our “grand final” is a far bigger event than their actual grand final

RIP05

_Mholden

RIP LJ - loved and never forgotten.

"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

The Peter Brock trophy is now where it belongs.
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10471 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 06 Feb 2020 :  18:27:49  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Trev

quote:
Originally posted by ignition

you're complaining about LESS than $1 a day to sign up to a streaming service that provides you with the opportunity to watch a sport you claim to "love"

you are NOT entitled to watch it for free. you were lucky to be able to do that previously.

if you refuse to pay $1 a day, then that is your loss, and your decision, and your little tantrums about pay tv are nothing but entertainment for most of us

I have this thing (call me strange) about giving Rupert Murdoch any more money than he already has. He does not use his money for good, he uses for evil. You can be a fan-boy but I won't be

So your argument is ideological.

Fair enough.

Yet the ABC forcibly removes 1.3 billion from taxpayers and last showed either the Sandown 500 in 82 or 83. Yet they show all sorts of crap nobody watches.

Back in the day the only race Ch 7 showed was Bathurst, they only ever wanted the jewel in the crown.

Wasn't until the mid/late 80s they started showing other races (to protect bathurst rights) and they certainly didn't pay to do that. In Victoria always a highlights package late at night mostly until ch 10 took over in what 97.

Very similar to today but I guess back then you were contributing to the fortunes of kerry Stokes and not ol uncle Rupert.

Only really the Cochrane era did the coverage get good and payed for rather than Ch 7 leeching off the series.

Watching the ratings last year the early races all rated at the the top of the Foxtel ratings which is some sort of sign the series is not down yet.

Streaming looks the future at least with that you only pay for what you want giving more choice to the consumer, which we never ever had in the 70s and 80s.

Very poor they are not showing the 500 live but watched a lot of streaming from the Bend and well the races are pretty dull unfortunately but good track for drivers by all accounts.

and i might add that as soon as Ch 7 had the opportunity to screw the series again it did so and literally forced it to do a deal with Foxtel, commercial pressures aligned where they could low ball the series and they did.

At the time Ch 9/10 had zero money to bid for the rights as they were heavily leveraged and Ch 7 who had the rights and solvent made it clear they wanted the series for next to no payment.

At least Foxtel gave the series an option that otherwise was not available to get a revenue stream for teams even if it is owned primarily by evil Rupert.

Spoken like someone who’s read Supercars description of history, “everything was bad before Tony Cochrane”
Go to Top of Page

oldtimer
Team Manager

4501 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 06 Feb 2020 :  23:03:43  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If several of the above posts are representative, this string, at least in part, should be split off and move to "nostalgia".

Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5957 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 07 Feb 2020 :  08:45:12  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
in your opinion

Go to Top of Page

Celicaman
Transporter Driver

United Kingdom
3 Posts
joined 31 Aug 18

Posted - 08 Feb 2020 :  04:49:33  Show Profile Send Celicaman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Just paid my subscription for superveiw 58 dollars for all qualifying and races to be streamed to me in the UK seems good value to me compared with what’s being paid in Australia
Go to Top of Page

Coyote302
V8 Champion

Australia
1019 Posts
joined 16 Dec 09

Posted - 08 Feb 2020 :  08:30:27  Show Profile Send Coyote302 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I remember the "good old days" of ATCC and Supercars being on free to air, and the pathetic coverage! I used to have Foxtel, but got rid of it because the only thing I was watching on it was sport. I have Kayo now, and I reckon it's great value for money. The coverage for Supercars on Kayo/Foxtel is far better than any FTA channel could provide.

To get top quality coverage you have to pay, that's just the way things are now. If peoples hatred of paying a business $30 a month stops you from watching one of your favorite sports then you are just cutting off your nose to spite for face.

If you don't want to cough up the money to watch, do us all a favour and stop bitching about it!

Member 6,356,453 Church of Ambroseology

If you can't beat them, sook until you get the rules changed.

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
10035 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 08 Feb 2020 :  08:47:32  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I remember ATCC and Supercars on 7 being very good coverage - apart from the ads. Not as good nor as comprehensive as Foxtel, but that's what you got for free back then, and it was a lot better than pathetic.

I have Foxtel and I spoke to them about getting the best possible rate. What I pay now is more than Kayo (not much more), but I get 4K quality and I can record etc. I enjoy my NRL as well as motorsport, so I have that and all the sport I want - ten times more than I could ever watch or record, but I'm not paying for all the movies and endless stuff that doesn't interest me. Yes, it does annoy me that I'm supporting Rupert, even if only a teensy bit, but as Coyote said, not that much that I'm cutting off my nose to spite my face.
Go to Top of Page

mikeamerica84
V8CFL Tsar

USA
1346 Posts
joined 11 Jan 08

Posted - 09 Feb 2020 :  22:19:13  Show Profile Send mikeamerica84 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'll chime in, boys.

I'm on the other side of the planet and I get same day flag-to-flag coverage thanks to my mate out in WA. No charge. Feel free to PM me and I will gladly point you in that direction.

Of course, the flag of piracy flies from my mast and my sails are set wing-to-wing. I have a jukebox graduate for a first mate, she couldn't sail but she sure can sing.

The V8CFL - Without fantasy, life is simply life
Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1681 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 09 Feb 2020 :  23:02:09  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
delete post

No1 fan of James Courtney's ex-wife!

Edited by - journeyman racer on 09 Feb 2020 23:06:44
Go to Top of Page

lyro
Formula Ford Driver

Australia
294 Posts
joined 03 Aug 09

Posted - 10 Feb 2020 :  03:53:16  Show Profile Send lyro a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mikeamerica84

I'll chime in, boys.

I'm on the other side of the planet and I get same day flag-to-flag coverage thanks to my mate out in WA. No charge. Feel free to PM me and I will gladly point you in that direction.

Of course, the flag of piracy flies from my mast and my sails are set wing-to-wing. I have a jukebox graduate for a first mate, she couldn't sail but she sure can sing.

Hi Mike.
We seem to have the same mate. Thanks to him bid time!

Edited by - lyro on 10 Feb 2020 10:21:19
Go to Top of Page

PVDA
Team Manager

2563 Posts
joined 02 Nov 02

Posted - 14 Feb 2020 :  23:21:27  Show Profile Send PVDA a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

I know, I have been there and seen it live, been part of the circus

That was a lot of years ago Trev.

I have Foxtel and enjoy the F1 & Supercars coverage, I may not be able to watch it live as I tend to be at other race meetings quite a few weekends each year but catch the next day replays or record it.

The coverage on Fox is second to none compared with what we had only a few years ago and we get all day coverage of not just the taxis but also most of the support races.

I watched a fair bit of the recent 12 Hour and noticed how many ad breaks there was for the FTA viewers compared to our continuous coverage on Fox.
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5957 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 15 Feb 2020 :  07:44:06  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I will not pay, simple, so if people are trying to convince me, just give up

They can go and get ****ed, I will not pay, so if that means one hugely long time supporters goes, then I guess I will just be joining the thousands of others who have walked because they have ****ed this series

Go to Top of Page

Muz
Team Manager

Australia
6829 Posts
joined 06 May 08

Posted - 15 Feb 2020 :  08:16:50  Show Profile  Visit Muz's Homepage Send Muz a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

I will not pay, simple, so if people are trying to convince me, just give up

They can go and get ****ed, I will not pay, so if that means one hugely long time supporters goes, then I guess I will just be joining the thousands of others who have walked because they have ****ed this series

I don’t think anyone wants you to buy it. Imagine all the whinging if you had access to that much footage!

The great 2019 poll about whether Tricky should be banned or not ended in favour of Tricky staying, 75% to 25%
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2020 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.88 seconds.