News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

F1 2024 Season

Started by mikeamerica84, May 23, 2023, 11:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skaifeman

Carlos looks to have been locked out. The only seat worth grabbing is the Merc one, but they seem to have their eyes on Kimi.
Williams or Sauber/Audi, maybe Alpine with Flavio back and rumours of it's sale back to Renault? None are immediate winning prospects though, it's all a shot in the dark at how they come out of the gate in 2026.

Great to see Bearman brought up. I haven't seen much of him expect for his performance in the Ferrari earlier.

Ricciardo is on shaky ground, and probably rightly so. RB has always been a development team, and DR isn't a developing driver...
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

mikeamerica84

Stories and rumors aplenty across the internet, but keep your ear to the ground for this one:  Sargeant and his money to IndyCars next year with the newest team - Prema.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/motorsports/f1-news-prema-racing-eyes-formula-1-driver-logan-sargeant-for-indycar-debut-in-2025/ar-BB1pqTSH?ocid=BingNewsSerp

Bottom line is Sargeant's time is nearly up in F1.  The latest Nicholas Latifi impersonator - who never landed in IndyCar post F1.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

skaifeman

Shame Silverstone starts at 12am here in Aus. Looking to be a cracker.
I'm usually in for an 11pm start, but midnight has a line through it.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

stevo qld

I appears, to me at least, that Max Verstappen is a very competent and fast driver.

He does this in what may be markedly inferior car if one considers the other identical team car's performance.

At the same time, I observe that he is a less competent racer and seems to have problems when actually racing against a competitor and is much better with starting at the front and staying at the front.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

mikeamerica84

The pressure is really on Checo this round at the Hungaroring.

He bins the car in Q1.   ::)

skaifeman

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on July 21, 2024, 05:06:33 AMThe pressure is really on Checo this round at the Hungaroring.

He bins the car in Q1.   ::)
Surely Checo won't survive the summer break.

Having said that, it shows the Red Bull is nowhere near as dominant as it was 12mo ago. Max is wrangling the thing to get it where it is. The rest of the season is going to be great.

skaifeman

Oscar does us proud.
McLaren shot themselves in the foot, both undercut stops went to Lando and they created this situation. It was always Oscar's race if he had the preferred strategy as leader.
I get it, usually they're racing for 3rd to 8th and they need to maximise, but now they need to manage characters as wins are up for grabs.

They'll learn, and I'd hope Webber makes sure of it.
That's the second time Lando has finished 2nd to an Aussie in a McLaren 1-2.

madbugger

tainted win in my book.  having the leader being forced to pull over and gift you the win because of team politics is wrong. how is this not race fixing?

I would not be surprised to see Lando leave for another teams because of it, he has every right to be furious.

could have easily been avoided had they have pitted Piastri first, they didn't and needed to own that mistake.

hope this doesn't bite them on the arse come seasons end, Max is starting to look a little vulnerable and if Lando loses the championship by less than the difference in todays points that were taken from him by the team, it's hard to see them retaining his services next year.

The history books will show that Oscar was the winner, however, morally it is Lando's win.
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

mikeamerica84

Quote from: madbugger on July 22, 2024, 05:34:26 AMtainted win in my book. 
Not at all IMO, bugger.  A team play.  Look at it like this:

The McLaren drivers are both young and they are both good.  The chemistry is good.  "Dad" had to step in today and ensure that this chemistry stays this way.  Imagine the bitterness in the team had Lando not pulled over after Oscar was told to not worry about Lando, we were covering Hamilton.  Lando cannot win the championship unless Max has to vacate his car this year.

I have never been much of a Lando fan but after today I'll cheer for the kid from here on out.  Class act in my book.  Vettel the snake should take note.

McLaren is a top player in this series and will continue to be.

madbugger

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on July 22, 2024, 07:47:40 AM

The McLaren drivers are both young and they are both good.  The chemistry is good.  "Dad" had to step in today and ensure that this chemistry stays this way.  Imagine the bitterness in the team had Lando not pulled over after Oscar was told to not worry about Lando, we were covering Hamilton.  Lando cannot win the championship unless Max has to vacate his car this year.

I have never been much of a Lando fan but after today I'll cheer for the kid from here on out.  Class act in my book.  Vettel the snake should take note.

Not buying it. If a horse trainer has multiple horses in a race and one jockey pulls his up to let the stablemate win he would be rubbed out for 12 months. It is corrupt.  What happens to all the gamblers that had backed Norris for the win? They would be rightly very upset. (For the record, I don't agree with gambling on sports, but it is legal so the event should be conducted with the utmost integrity, and this wasn't.)

Formula one can no longer be considered a Sport ( and it has been this way for years), it is purely an entertainment event that the teams are allowed to manipulate for their own advantage.

May as well go and watch WWE wrestling, the basic premise is the same.

From the very beginning McLaren have not handled Piastri very well at all. They way they ousted DR was pretty woeful, and nothing they have done since is an improvement.

Imagine the bitterness that Lando now has, a legitimate win stolen from him by his own team. The team got it wrong by pitting him first and giving him the undercut, they should have lived by that decision. I have zero respect for Mclaren now.  I have little respect for Red Bull and Zero for Max, but I hope they absolute spank McLaren's arse for the remainder of the season
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

skaifeman

Quote from: madbugger on July 22, 2024, 07:53:51 AM

Not buying it. If a horse trainer has multiple horses in a race and one jockey pulls his up to let the stablemate win he would be rubbed out for 12 months. It is corrupt.  What happens to all the gamblers that had backed Norris for the win? They would be rightly very upset. (For the record, I don't agree with gambling on sports, but it is legal so the event should be conducted with the utmost integrity, and this wasn't.)

Formula one can no longer be considered a Sport ( and it has been this way for years), it is purely an entertainment event that the teams are allowed to manipulate for their own advantage.

How long you been watching Motorsport for?

madbugger

Quote from: skaifeman on July 22, 2024, 09:07:05 AM

about 55 years. What is your point?

skaifeman

Quote from: madbugger on July 22, 2024, 10:16:55 AM

It's been this way for at least 30 years, you're only realising now? 8)

madbugger

Quote from: skaifeman on July 22, 2024, 11:37:27 AM
Quote from: madbugger on July 22, 2024, 10:16:55 AM

It's been this way for at least 30 years, you're only realising now? 8)

You have absolutely no idea what I think or know.

(and the above sentence could have been 5 words shorter.)  ;)

skaifeman

Last night was a great race, and to Madbugger's joy, no team orders at the end ;D.
Shame that George got DSQ'd. He paid full credit to his team after the win, win together, lose together.

It was Lewis' race, so I understand his dumbfoundness at losing. He just got pipped by a hail mary strategy that his own team didn't think would work.
Anyone who was running 2-8 at the time could've done the same, with somewhat a similar result.

Piastri is really starting to prove himself. That mid-stint overtaking Russell and Perez was crucial to his race. Burnt his tyres doing so but had track position and stayed in front.