News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Silly Season 2025

Started by hsv8fan, July 26, 2024, 06:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo qld

I sometimes wonder if drivers and crew changes are related to whether they prefer to live in Victoria or S-E Qld?

Missing family and old friends may often be a pull, particularly to wives who want a support network when they have children.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

stevo qld

I am encouraged by the number of quality graduates from the 888 Academy that are working at PremiAir and the willingness of Peter Xibberas to spend big money to attract talent and buy 888 cars and expertise.

The problem seems to be that the top drivers are either not off contract or are wary of a relatively new team. There simply aren't any top-class drivers (arguably) that are available, and Peter has to choose from consistent midfielders, albeit with an occasional flush of front running.

Sometimes I wonder if an imported driver could be the solution or perhaps from another class. Golding is, I think OK, but the other seat needs a really good driver to get results. We might see some changes as other team frontrunners come off contact in future years.

In the meantime. they have a new sponsorship guy, also 888 Academy, who may boost the sponsorship coffers. I suspect that NULON are on a buy one, get one free deal.

https://www.v8sleuth.com.au/former-triple-eight-stalwart-joins-premiair/

Grove is another team that has significate graduated of the 888 Academy and yet to sort out driver issues.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

muz

SetonFan

Quote from: stevo qld on September 04, 2024, 09:50:59 PMI am encouraged by the number of quality graduates from the 888 Academy that are working at PremiAir and the willingness of Peter Xibberas to spend big money to attract talent and buy 888 cars and expertise.

The problem seems to be that the top drivers are either not off contract or are wary of a relatively new team. There simply aren't any top-class drivers (arguably) that are available, and Peter has to choose from consistent midfielders, albeit with an occasional flush of front running.

Sometimes I wonder if an imported driver could be the solution or perhaps from another class. Golding is, I think OK, but the other seat needs a really good driver to get results. We might see some changes as other team frontrunners come off contact in future years.

I wonder if de Pasquale had any discussions with Xiberras - I think if I were him, I would have rathered go there than Team 18.

mikeamerica84

Quote from: SetonFan on September 08, 2024, 10:40:03 PMI wonder if de Pasquale had any discussions with Xiberras - I think if I were him, I would have rathered go there than Team 18.
Maybe he did and maybe Pete told him there was no room.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

skaifeman

There's a bit of blacklash on how the de Pasquale story broke.
Both Catena de Pasquale and Scott Pye have suggested what DJR have said about the breakup has been manufactured. Specifically regarding some of Story's comments.

I'm sure LG knows more...
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

muz

Mechz

Quote from: muz on September 13, 2024, 08:04:04 AMhttps://speedcafe.com/supercars-news-mark-winterbottom-team-18-contract-details-2025-full-time-future-exclusive/

Charlie Schwerkolt, what a snake!

Good luck Anton and Dave, sound's like you'll ****ing need it.

I have always thought he was since he stole the #18 from DJR. I mean, who does that to a heritage team?

muz

Quote from: Mechz on September 13, 2024, 08:47:06 AM
Quote from: muz on September 13, 2024, 08:04:04 AMhttps://speedcafe.com/supercars-news-mark-winterbottom-team-18-contract-details-2025-full-time-future-exclusive/

I have always thought he was since he stole the #18 from DJR. I mean, who does that to a heritage team?

And then builds a whole brand around that number.

I guess he's just a bit of a flog after all.

skaifeman

Quote from: muz on September 13, 2024, 09:15:27 AM

Read LG's post a page or so back. Might give some insight.
I don't think Team 18's decision to grab Anton is a bad one, it's actually ideal. They've handled it so poorly though, which is becoming a clear trend as you guys say above.

Tough run for Frosty. He put all his eggs in the Team 18 basket leaving Tickford.

He'd have some great enduro pairings. Tickford/Waters the ultimate renaissance, but Mostert would be awesome too.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

madbugger

Quote from: muz on September 13, 2024, 09:15:27 AM

Yep
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

Troy01505

Invest a crapload into the team and not given a say in to their future?

Hardly his fault DJR has gone broke and required saving a few times

muz

Quote from: Troy01505 on September 13, 2024, 06:57:48 PM

Invest a crapload into the team and not given a say in to their future?

Hardly his fault DJR has gone broke and required saving a few times

Actually, I believe this is incorrect. Story has it he signed up Courtney on a small fortune before talking to the rest of the team and put them in a tough position.

Not the sole reason, but no party is blameless in the DJR woes of the 2010's.

LG

This is more 2026 but not starting a new thread.
Big story coming out about the Toyota Supra coming in 2026 with Walkinshaw.
Parity will be a problem for them with 3 brands now.

stevo qld

Quote from: LG on September 17, 2024, 03:03:09 PMThis is more 2026 but not starting a new thread.
Big story coming out about the Toyota Supra coming in 2026 with Walkinshaw.
Parity will be a problem for them with 3 brands now.

I have been cogitating.

If we accept that parity will be achieved between Camaro and Mustang by the end of 2024, Toyota will be able to take a WAU Mustang to America, with engine, for all the tests and they could keep the Mustang there for the whole of 2025.

Of course, Supercars may be NASCAR compatible by then. Alternatively Supercars could use NASCAR spec engines.
ALBERT EINSTEIN