News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Bathurst 2024 - may contain spoilers

Started by Trevor, August 19, 2024, 05:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muz

I enjoyed it. Really showed the excellent drivers in the field.

Woodzy

Well done Erebus, Brodie & Todd, very deserved winners.

So the big question is...was everyone involved  in the wind tunnel testing process aware that the Camaro & Mustang would have such different characteristics?

I do believe that parity is the closest it's ever been, and I find it somewhat interesting that certain track suit certain cars to mix up the results.

I am concerned though that these one sided results will continue at Bathurst or do we believe that it will be different next time as the Mustang package is refined over the next year?

I would love to hear everyone thoughts.

skaifeman

Who would've thought that the most important move of the race was lap 1, turn 1.
If Feeney got through on Kostecki there, I dare say the results would've been reversed. Neither was fast enough on the other to be able to overtake.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

stevo qld

Quote from: Woodzy on October 13, 2024, 08:30:49 PMWell done Erebus, Brodie & Todd, very deserved winners.

So the big question is...was everyone involved  in the wind tunnel testing process aware that the Camaro & Mustang would have such different characteristics?

I do believe that parity is the closest it's ever been, and I find it somewhat interesting that certain track suit certain cars to mix up the results.

I am concerned though that these one sided results will continue at Bathurst or do we believe that it will be different next time as the Mustang package is refined over the next year?

Driver quality and ability cannot be paratised. I believe co-drivers (and drivers) made more difference than Aero variation.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

muz

Quote from: skaifeman on October 14, 2024, 09:24:57 AMWho would've thought that the most important move of the race was lap 1, turn 1.
If Feeney got through on Kostecki there, I dare say the results would've been reversed. Neither was fast enough on the other to be able to overtake.

Potentially yes. One thing that sticks in my mind though is what Brodie said after his first stint, he was able to manage pace and save fuel which meant they needed to fill for a shorter time.

If you look at all the pit stops, I think car #1 was faster in the pits all day.

It could be because he had clean air and could manage the pace, maybe Feeney would have done that too.

But, hard to tell. And as I see it, Brodie was in control all day.

Speaking of lap 1 - the race would have looked very different if co-drivers started, probably more safety cars.

AlbertM

Quote from: Woodzy on October 13, 2024, 08:30:49 PMWell done Erebus, Brodie & Todd, very deserved winners.

The closer the cars are, a small difference will have a larger effect.  In turn it makes it harder to identify issues. 

After the SC, No Mustangs had the sustained pace of Camaro. All with full tanks and fresh rubber, Cam and Mostert were no match for 888 and Kostecki. Even Goulding was closing in.

The Camaro is strong on the straights. I believe there is still work to do. 3-4 tenths over a Bathurst lap is a pretty big gap. Yes, the top Ford drivers made mistakes, however they are driving the car harder to keep up.
Ford Faithful

stevo qld

Has anyone found the top speed figures of the cars during the race?
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

SetonFan

I enjoyed the race but recognise it was one for the purists. Kind of strange to see that so many people (not here) who are opposed to the 'artificial' finals system also were desperate for the safety car to spice up the race. Seems a bit rich to have it both ways.

Clearly Murray was very impressive - but Ojeda and Hazelwood were too. Must have been a difficult call for Erebus to have made for 2025.

Sonic

Waters was only 1.5 secs behind Brown at the chequer. Sure the other 2 had driven away but Will didn't. Wondering if Moz had taken Cam's place and got into 4th if he would have had something for him? One of those things we'll never know.

Can't argue that the top 2 in that final session were driving above the rest BUT also note that the final session was close for 30 laps and in that time the top 5 (3xChev, 2xFord) were only 15 seconds apart.

the top 2 got 2.07s (and they were the ones with clear road out front), 17 were in the 2.08s, 7 were in the 2.09s... the top 12 was 6 and 6. that is a pretty good balance I reckon

and yup, I get that the blues really want a win but that is some pretty good balance.
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

Trevor

from someone sitting at the top of the mountain, it was as boring as batsh!t

and as an initial fan of the FCY I now think it is a terrible idea
I reserve the right to arm bears

Trevor

did anyone actually overtake anyone else?

muz

I can imagine being there it was far more boring than on TV.

drivexby

Quote from: stevo qld on October 14, 2024, 06:38:17 PMHas anyone found the top speed figures of the cars during the race?
Each year the commentators suggest 300 km/h is achieved down Conrod but when I watch the telecasts, the telemetry on the screen only tops out at 289 km/h before the Chase.  I'm curious to know if this is poetic licence or they actually reach that speed?

Trevor

The don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

They are trying to talk it up

fordman

My Report card.

Been going for 25 consecutive years and this is what I thought of the event as w hole.

1. The heritage class was the BEST class of the weekend, POORLY treated by SC, as all support categories are, a whole race canned and the promised rescheduled also canned when it could have run IMHO. 52 cras of all makes RACING great sight to see.

2. Weather bloody good except for the wind, great to see NO rain.

3. The lead up on race day, in the 25 years of going this was the WORST attempt at pre-race entertainment I have ever seen  >:(  What could have  been was not, a Plane landing on mountain straight should have been better promoted. We on the front straight had loud music overlapping interviews, had NO warning of the plane landing, occurred at the SAME time as the motorbike stunt show, should have been separate, no warning of John Goss' lap, the national anthem whilst well sung, was given NO warning to the public. It appeared to me someone on track in charge of the music deliberately played it loud over the top of any interview or announcement???? frustrated the hell out of me >:(  >:( Can someone tell me why the drivers don't come down main straight in the drivers parade?

4. the race, was ok for the first stint but as it went on and on with no SC became a procession, I got the feeling most teams just tried to stay in position and wait for a SC to get an opportunity to do something???? Commentators kept looking for something to talk about. Last 30 laps was ok but was clear after 10 laps after Green Fenny had nothing for the #1 Chiko Roll. Deserved win looked solid all week.

Funniest thing for me was during the week the weather forecasted late showers on Sunday, I jokingly said to my mates yeah right will come out on lap 132, guess what lap the SC came out on???? should have put money on it :( better go abd buy a lottery ticket eh.