News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Finals System

Started by skaifeman, October 09, 2024, 08:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skaifeman

https://speedcafe.com/supercars-news-finals-system-2025-championship-adelaide-500/

Feels really, really gimmicky.

Are Supercars being sucked into this NASCAR revival?
SVG seems to have drawn the eye of far more Australian fans to NASCAR and 'how good it is.'
My only question is are all these Facebook punters actually watching all the races at 9am on a Monday or just watching the crash highlights and SVG teaching them how to turn right?

It would likely lead to teams focussing on a certain type of car, to be really good over those specific final circuits. It would be more about point and squirt and riding the bumps (GC, Sandown, Adelaide) than fast and flowy.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

racinjason

I think it could be a good thing. It will maintain interest for longer and keep more potential winners in the game. For example Cam Waters this year. Cam had a bad couple of rounds which basically ruined his championship alomost at the start of the year.

You have to consider that Supercars is a business in the entertainment industry and is competing with all of the ball sports, none of which have a "fist past the post" points system. This maybe what is needed.

muz

I added my thoughts here: https://www.v8central.com/index.php?topic=543.0

The finals system is amazing: Guaranteed jeopardy in terms of points/wins etc. (not crashes). Drivers and teams will need to throw more at it. Enduro's can literally be win it or bin it if drivers are safe in the finals OR we see a big driver who had a ****ty year suddenly roar into contention.

All good in my books, it's exciting.

Kytabu

Just thinking if this had applied in previous years...without proper research, potential champion changes:

2023: Waters
2022: Mostert
2019: Coulthard
2017: McLaughlin
2015: Whincup
2012: Lowndes
2011: Lowndes
2010: Dumbrell  ???

* Depending on the season, based on either the final two rounds after Bathurst or the final three rounds.
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

AlbertM

It's contrived, not enough races to make the system work properly. Nothing stopping some skulduggery in the finals.

But I'm at a point where I'm curious to see how it will play out.
Ford Faithful

Sonic

it's a crap idea. MAYBE if there was a decent amount of events? but even then it's still a no from me.

just for giggles I'd love to see all 4 drivers at Adelaide crash out in both races for a 4 way tie...
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

mikeamerica84

It is sad that racing has come to this over in Oz, wherein entertainment is outlegging sport.  I think it is a gimmick, no doubt.  I could pretty much digest it when NASCAR did it, but that was simply an attempt to get Dale Earnhardt, Jr. to have a shot at the title, which he STILL couldn't do.

With Supercars whittling things down to ten drivers, that is not too bad, I guess. 

On the UP side they are not introducing the dreaded stage racing - yet.  I'll wait for that other shoe to drop some day for if they DO go that way Bathurst will be the main candidate to do it at.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

muz

I think the stage racing and finals in nascar are great. It makes the event so much more engaging.

While not the traditional way, or the ,sport first' way, these sports need to stay alive.

Entertainment needs to be mixed with sport. FTA and better sponsors and media coverage don't come unless there are eyeballs. To get those; you need to adapt

mikeamerica84

Quote from: muz on October 10, 2024, 05:46:51 AMI think the stage racing and finals in nascar are great. It makes the event so much more engaging.

While not the traditional way, or the ,sport first' way, these sports need to stay alive.

Entertainment needs to be mixed with sport. FTA and better sponsors and media coverage don't come unless there are eyeballs. To get those; you need to adapt
Without getting too far out on a tangent, muz.... stage racing would be fine with me if they did NOT bring the field under caution at the end of each stage.  If you want to give out stage points, fine.  Do it.  But do not stop the race.

IMSA does it this way in their enduros.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

stevo qld

As I understand it, the Finals is just a mathematic calculation.

The races are still held. All drivers are racing as hard as they can.

The season winner is still the season winner. The enduro winner is just another trophy.

The finals series is just another trophy, but with restricted participation.

As long as Supercars want to hand out more prizes, then I think there should be another separate one for the Australian Touring Car Championship consisting of ONE race in each state and counted by MA.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Alan59

Quote from: stevo qld on October 10, 2024, 10:31:25 AMAs I understand it, the Finals is just a mathematic calculation.

The races are still held. All drivers are racing as hard as they can.

The season winner is still the season winner. The enduro winner is just another trophy.

The finals series is just another trophy, but with restricted participation.

As long as Supercars want to hand out more prizes, then I think there should be another separate one for the Australian Touring Car Championship consisting of ONE race in each state and counted by MA.
No.The series champion will be the winner of the Finals series.There will also be sprint and enduro title winners but their big prize is a pass into the finals.
Once we get to those last 3 races points will only be awarded to those 10,7 and then 4 drivers.Everyone else is racing for no points.
There will be no series point score released but I'm sure that fans will do an unofficial one.I'm certain that any media that does that will find them on the Supercars black list.

madbugger

like most of the decisions supercars have made in the last few years, this is a 💩 one as well
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

Sonic

Quote from: stevo qld on October 10, 2024, 10:31:25 AMAs long as Supercars want to hand out more prizes, then I think there should be another separate one for the Australian Touring Car Championship consisting of ONE race in each state and counted by MA.

to do that they'd have to start racing Touring Cars again and they won't go back to that.
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

CP

If it follows the footy finals vibe they're after and you see a driver dominate most of the year and fall on their arse in finals, or do just enough to scrape in and win the thing, it could work.

In saying that, it does leave it open to manipulation and desperation to get in like it does in the NASCAR version which it's inspired by, which is ironic as the Playoffs they have now were caused by manipulation of the old chase format.

skaifeman

Quote from: CP on October 12, 2024, 09:58:23 PMIf it follows the footy finals vibe they're after and you see a driver dominate most of the year and fall on their arse in finals, or do just enough to scrape in and win the thing, it could work.

That's what gets me most. Someone could be dominant all season, drop a race at the GC and be out. Think of Scotty Mac in 2019.
Remember the fiasco(s) on here when the less-winning driver wins the Championship (Ingall 05, Kelly 06, Whincup 17).
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977